TRACKED!!!OBERLEUTNANT FRANZ KRÜGER´S HELMET OF THE E.R.2

argonne

Gentlemen,
First I would like to thank the forum members who were so kind to help me at the beginning of my research to find out the unit and the officer who wore this helmet.(named and marked in the back visor with "F.Krüger 1.7.13"). Now I can say "mission accomplished" :D
First I had to invest in some good old books, the "Ehrenrangliste der königlich Preußischen Armee" of the years 1902, 1907, 1911, 1913 and 1914-18.
Then it took a lot of time to search and compare.
This helmet could only have been worn in the 7 following units: Garde Füsilier Regiment, 5. Garde Regiment zu Fuß, Garde Pionier Bataillon and Eisenbahnregiment 1,2,3 and 4.
It was my luck that there were no Officers with this name in six of those units. But in the Eisenbahn Regiment 2, there were two Krügers, and both had incredibly the initial "F" in their christian name...Bad case for a researcher!!! :eek: Friedrich and Franz...
Well, I think they were brothers. Both were at some different time Regiment Adjutant of this unit and both went to the Militärtechnische Akademie in Berlin-Charlottenburg.
Friedrich was the oldest one (27.1.99 Leutnant, 19.8.09 Oberleutnant, went in pension at the end of 1913 or at the beginning of 1914 as a Hauptmann). He did not go to WWI.
Franz was the youngest one (28.1.04 Leutnant, 27.1.13 Oberleutnant). During WWI, he was in Brüssel at the Militär-General-Direktion der Eisenbahnen and died a few days before the war was over, on the 16.10.1918. He had the posthum rank of Hauptmann.
Now the question: which of both was the wearer of this helmet???
Well, I think the answer is easy, because logical. It was the older one, Friedrich Krüger.
The clue is the length of the spike on this helmet: near 5,5 inch or 14 cm. In Larcades book vol.1 page 22, one can read that the tall spikes began to appear in 1895. An AKO passed on May15 1899 put an end to these by establishing the height of the officer spike at 9.5 cm.
The Leutnant Patent of Friedrich was 27.1.1899 and it is very possible he already wore this private purchase helmet in the year 1898 or even 1897 as a Fahnenjunker.
Logically, Franz could not have ever worn this haube, because of his Leutnant Patent of 28.1.04. Even if he already wore it 1902 or 1903 as a Fahnenjunker, the AKO of May15 1899 would have restricted the height of his spike at 9,5cm. :)
Philippe :salute:

sc10.jpg

sc110.jpg

sc210.jpg

sc310.jpg

sc410.jpg

sc510.jpg

sc610.jpg

sc710.jpg

sc810.jpg

sc910.jpg

sc1010.jpg

sc1110.jpg

sc1210.jpg

sc1310.jpg

sc1410.jpg

sc1610.jpg

sc1710.jpg

sc1810.jpg

sc2010.jpg

sc2110.jpg

sc2210.jpg

sc2310.jpg

sc2410.jpg

sc2510.jpg

sc2710.jpg

sc2810.jpg

sc2910.jpg

argonne said:
// The clue is the length of the spike on this helmet: near 5,5 inch or 14 cm. In Larcades book vol.1 page 22, one can read that the tall spikes began to appear in 1895. An AKO passed on May15 1899 put an end to these by establishing the height of the officer spike at 9.5 cm.//

Beautiful helmet and excellent research. That is always interesting and enjoyable. I would recommend caution with this AKO. There are many fibre helmets with zinc fittings which indicate post-1914 manufacture with these bizarre tall spikes. I do not think this AKO was adhered to generally, much like a Soldat could not wear a Schirmmütze at the unit, but could as soon as he stepped out of the Kaserne.

Tony without Kaiser said:
I would recommend caution with this AKO. There are many fibre helmets with zinc fittings which indicate post-1914 manufacture with these bizarre tall spikes

Yes Tony, it´s an interesting thought.
Such a research is really pretty complicated #-o . Most of the time you don´t find any information about the officer you are tracking, but in this case there are so much informations but to be divided on two persons in the same unit, with almost the same career and at about the same period... ](*,) That´s the reason why I am thinking Friedrich and Franz were obviously brothers.
One more interesting clue that could be decisive to make out the real final identity of the wearer: behind the Adler, there are two very old holes that have been very properly filled out at some time. Very very clean job, nothing to see from the outside, only from the inside with very good eyes. The space from center to center of both old holes is exactly 4 cm. I am pretty sure there was a saxon plate there at some time. However, only the print of the Garde Adler on the leather, nothing else...

The Eisenbahn Regiment 2 had the following very unusual characteristic: as it was in garrison in Berlin Schöneberg till September 1913, its 7th and 8th Kompanie were both saxon companies and the soldiers there wore the same helmet as the saxon R100, but officers with golden stars and not silver. As the ER 2 went to Hanau, September 1913, both saxon companies did not do that but went to the ER1 and remained in Berlin-Schöneberg.
Friedrich Krüger (the older one) retired 1914 and never received the saxon Albrecht Ritterkreuz, but Franz Krüger did that!
Maybe this is the final clue and the helmets wearer was Franz Krüger and he did his duty in one of the two saxon companies, with saxon emblem on his helmet. As the ER2 moved to Hanau (September 1913), Franz Krüger moved there too as Regiment Adjutant , and because both saxon companies remained in Berlin Schöneberg in the ER1, Franz Krüger had to change the saxon star to a Garde eagle!!! I am quite sure now that´s the whole logical explanation. The saxon Albrecht Ritterkreuz could only have given award to a soldier who served in a saxon unit.
FRANZ KRÜGER was of course the wearer!!!

The name of Franz Krüger on the neckguard with the date 1.7.13:

sc1510.jpg

Franz Krüger as a Leutnant in the Rangliste 1907:

1907sc10.jpg

Leutnant Franz Krüger is moving to the Militär Techn. Akademie, Rangliste 1911:

1911sc10.jpg

Franz Krüger is now Oberleutnant and Regiment Adjutant of the ER2 (Rangliste 1913):

1913sc10.jpg

Rangliste 1914: Hauptmann Friedrich Krüger retired in pension but Oberleutant Franz Krüger is still Oberleutnant and Regiment Adjutant, but now in Hanau. The Saxon Albrecht Ritterkreuz third class (SA3b) has been awarded to him since he left Berlin and the two saxon companies there. Hauptmann Friedrich Krüger did not have this medal.

Rangliste 1914-18 (published 1926). Hauptmann Franz Krüger died on the 16.10.18:

One finds the same mention in the german Verlust-Listen 1914-18 which are now online:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/5978747

sc10010.jpg

Some of you guys will call me crazy, but I have noticed there are still 30 Krügers who are today still living in Berlin-Schöneberg. I have already send each of them a letter with polite asking about their ancesters...and maybe some old photos....To be continued!!!

saxon R100, but officers with golden stars and not silver.

This has been most interesting! Where did you find this? Is there anything else about these company helmets you have documented? Very interesting!

argonne said:
// Some of you guys will call me crazy //

Absolutely. :p But your research is fascinating Philippe. I especially like the way you have connected the dots with ER2 and Franz's service in the Sachsen companies. Well done. :thumbright:

Well done, excellent work. Research efforts can really pay off as in this case Argonne...Great. :thumb up:

Larry

Thank you guys for not committing me immediatly in the next best lunatic asylum! During this research I really sometimes feel like that... :D

argonne said:
the soldiers there wore the same helmet as the saxon R100, but officers with golden stars and not silver.
joerookery said:
This has been most interesting! Where did you find this? Is there anything else about these company helmets you have documented? Very interesting!
Joe, I find this in the good old Larcade, Volume 1, page 147 under "TROUPES DE COMMUNICATION" (VERKEHRSTRUPPEN)-CHEMINS DE FER (EISENBAHNENTRUPPEN)" then small chapter "Royaume de Saxe".
Larcade is also refering there about both saxon companies (7th and 8th) in the year 1914 as parts of the ER1. That´s right! But refering to all Rangliste, both sächsischen Kompanien were up to September 30th 1913 parts of ER2!! At this specific date, the ER2 has to moved to its new garrison of Hanau without its saxon companies.
You will also find a picture of a Reserve Offizier helmet worn in such a saxon company in the Eisenbahnregiment in Joachim Hilsenbecks "Deutsche Offiziershelme aus der Kaiserzeit, 1870-1918", Band 1, page 198. This book is also only refering about those both saxon companies as being parts of the ER1...Again, that´s not the whole historical truth!!! :x

Excellent research! I don't think your search for a relative is crazy at all. As I mentioned before on another thread, I met the granddaughter of a member of the Garde du Korps this past fall. She said her family had to trade all of the GdK uniforms, helmets, etc. for food following both wars. All they have left is a photo of granddad... that she knew of at the time. So, many of these descendants are interested to learn about their history as well, since so much was lost during the wars. I'm sure most would be happy to know that great granddad's helmet is in good hands!
Good luck and keep us posted! Also, beautiful helmet! :)

:D Ron

Again, that´s not the whole historical truth!!!
:bravo: :bravo:

Great research! Thanks for the reply I am now off to look this all up. Thank you. It's fun when you find something like this.

Back again from a short X-mas holiday under palm-trees on a small spanish island in the Atlantic :santa:
Cool pretty place, but without any chance to find a haube :D

Thank you Gents for all your kind comments. I do appreciate them much!
If I have the luck to get informations from some relatives of Franz in Berlin, I will of course let you know!

All the best for 2012 to all members on this great forum!

Great helmet and fine research !
Thanks for sharing !
Ein guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr
:eek:ccasion5:
Francis

Excellent story, superb research , and a beautifull helmet!
Keep up the good work in 2012!
All the best to you all for 2012!

Marcel

Chas and Mike, special thanks for your precious informations at the beginning of this research! :wink:
I appreciated them very much!

Thank you Gents for all your kind replies!
The investigation is going on... I really want to find a pict of this guy! Unfortunately nothing heard from some potential Franz Krügers relatives in Berlin-Schöneberg, but...
... I found out that only two german period books about those specific units (ER1,2,3 and 4) are existing, quite difficult to find.
- Geschichte der preußischen Eisenbahntruppen 1871-1911 (Berlin 1913)
- Das Ehrenbuch der Feldeisenbahner 1914-1918 (Berlin 1930)
I had the chance to localize both of them at a german historical public library and have ordered them. I will get them soon.
I hope it will be possible for me to find a good shot of this Offizier. Because he was Regiment Adjutant of the ER2, it´s very possible to find him on some picts, near the Regiments Kommandeur Oberst Sommerfeldt. Regiment Adjutanten also use to wear a very specific sash.
If I had the luck, I will post a scan here!

Back