Truppenübungsplatz Neuhammer am Queis, Niederschlesien 1907

Wyliecoyote

Happy Easter!

Soldaten in this photo dated 30 Juni 1907, canceled in Neuhammer am Queis, (I am thinking in the Truppenübungsplatz Neuhammer am Queis). All armed men with Rifle 88 and Sidearm 71. The helmets are M95 with chin scales and gilt first pattern Grenadier wappen. M95 waffenrocks many with the Kaiserabzeichen visible on their right sleeves.

8603873957_f32b63baaa_b.jpg

I am attempting to identify the Regiment of the men in the photo, and am asking for some advice. The unit is not identified on the reverse, and all the shoulder boards are either rolled or not visible. The sunlight was not kind to the photographer either. The wappen on their pickelhauben appear as mentioned above to be first pattern Grenadier wappen.

8605898665_7332fab909_c.jpg
8605898493_12c851f798_c.jpg

8605898659_b9d0eedbc4_c.jpg

According to Tony's excellent site Kaiser's Bunker:
"The line Grenadier Regts. adopted the swept-wing eagle Wappen and retired the old Grenadier eagle Wappen on the following dates:
•1888 by Grenadier Regt. Nr. 4,
•1897 by Grenadier Regt. Nr. 2 and 7,
•1898 by Grenadier Regt. Nr. 8,
•1901 by Grenadier Regt. Nr. 3, and
•1913 by Grenadier Regts. Nr. 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, and 12."

So if the Kaiserpreis in the photo was awarded in 1907, the only regiment wearing the older pattern wappen to be awarded the Kaiserpreis was the 1. Kompanie, Colbergsches-Grenadier-Regt. Graf Gneisenau (2.Pommersches) Nr.9. The previous two years of 1905 and 1906 saw none of the Grenadier Regiments who would have still been utilizing the older pattern wappen being awarded the Kaiserpreis. In 1904 only one Regiment, the Grenadier-Regiment König Wilhelm I (2. Westpreußisches) Nr.7 won a Kaiserpreis, but their wappen would have been the new pattern wappen in use by that regiment by then for 10 years.

So am I on the right track with the identification of the men in the photo? Are the wappen in the photo the older pattern Grenadier wappen? Hope you enjoy the photo as much as I do!

Once again, Happy Easter!

I think you might be on safer ground with Grenadier-Regiment König Friedrich Wilhelm II. (1. Schlesisches) Nr. 10. Truppenübungsplatz Neuhammer was in VI. Armee-Korps district as was GR 10.

11./G.R. 10 was awarded the Kaiserabzeichen per A.K.O. 24 August 1906.

1./G.R. 9 (and also 8./G.R. 12 for that matter) were awarded the Kaiserabzeichen per A.K.O. 23 August 1907 - too late for your photo.

Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 9 had the "Colberg" Bandeau, not in evidence in this photo and also white shoulder boards.

Regards
Glenn

kaiserabz.jpg

Glennj

Thanks immensely for the (as always) terrific info! Obviously the site I pulled the Kaiserabzeichen info from is not complete.

Back