tschapka real or fake

I don't know much about these, and I don't own one, so take this with a grain of salt, but didn't all of these helmets have squared tongues on their liners?
John :???:

Legitimate all-felt Tschapkas existed with round-tongued liners.

The old Johansson book has a similar helmet on page 170, but with multiple vent holes in the mortarboard neck and a toggle instead of a hook.

pointystuff said:
Legitimate all-felt Tschapkas existed with round-tongued liners.

The old Johansson book has a similar helmet on page 170, but with multiple vent holes in the mortarboard neck and a toggle instead of a hook.
do you think this one is a good one

I have also, never owned one of these....however, the feldzeichen looks correct...hand stitched, wappen is proper, the liner looks original, tight around the rim, and showing the proper colour for a used, undyed M15 style liner. The kokarde also looks original with the correct colour. The domed brads holding the top on have never been removed since it was manufactured, I see no scratches in the support disc. The chin strap looks original with proper aging but I have never seen that style of rounded corner buckles before. The liner stitching on the outside looks good but I would black light it to make certain that it is "natural" not modern/synthetic. I would be very tempted by this piece, it does not look like a 1970's UK made tschapka.

The felt looks a little "fluffy". Most felt pickelhaubes are a harder more compressed material. Is the felt squishy?

Quickest way to spot these copies, is the shells are cut straight on the bottom like a Pickelhaube. Original Tschapka of any pattern curve down at the back around the wearer's head.

Back