Hi

I just get this plate

For me, it is for Tshako

Size: 9,3 cm
white metal (maillechort
made from 2 pieces

Is it for a 1895 or a 1860 Tshako ?

Any comments would be welcome !

With that type of split brad fitting on the back, I'd say this plate was for a busby rather than a shako...

Hi

Yes, it could be. But this plate is White and plates of the Leib Garde Husaren Regt are Brass Yellow for ORs.

Would it be a NCO's plate?

Interesting item. This actually answers a question I have had for some years to do with an M.1915 Shako plate (grey metal steel) on a mint example shako, that judging by it's mint condition it must have been a Liberty War Bond prize.

My example has a one-piece struck plate. But the wording "1860 Land" is at 9 o'clock and not 6 o'clock at the base of the plate. It appears that the striking die may have been two-piece, but for some reason was assembled out of (the correct) alignment. I have never seen another version like this before. I posted an article in the UK "Armourer magazine" some years ago but never had any feed-back.

All I can assume (in my hypothisis) is that the quality control and issue through the BA of M.1915 models was not as stringent as pre-August 1914. Maybe this slipped the eye of the inspector, but I note that my shako has only the manufacturer's ink stamp and not the BA depot stamp evident. Didn't get issued officially to one of the two regiments (Royal Prussian Guard Btn, or RoyalPrussian Schutzen Btn).

Refs: "Jager & Schutzen - Dress and Distinctions 1910 - 1914" by Kinna & Moss (1977) - an excellent reference source.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards,

Mart Vear.

Hi Eric,

I've just checked:

90mm diameter to the extremities of the (overlaid) guard star points.

70mm diameter to the extremities of the wappen outer ring.

Finish is (or appears to be zinc phosphated) steel, but it could be some form of paint with a strong silvery-grey pigment. Probably zinc-phosphate as no wear or chips to the exposed high-points. Very original.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Martin.

Eric, mine is a one-piece stamping with screw posts, typical private purchase, 91.5 mm from top to bottom.

dbh69a.jpg

However, look at this fellow. This looks like a two-piece like yours?

GSB_star.jpg

Hi Tony

Thank you for your pictures and infos.

Another link with pictures of this 2-part plate: http://lagrandeguerre.cultureforum.net/coiffes-uniformes-equipements-individuels-et-collectifs-f38/plaque-de-la-garde-pour-shako-t9620.htm#66196

Back