Turkish Ottoman Kindjal

RON

I found this rusty old sword in my aunt’s (very damp & humid) attic in the family village North of Lebanon, not far from the Syrian border, while visiting from Canada back in the 90s...
As you all know, the Levant region (Lebanon, Syria, Palestine, etc.) was occupied by Turkey and an integral part of the Ottoman Empire until its defeat at the end of WW1.
Based on design and provenance, one can safely assume this is a Turkish Caucasian Kindjal from the 19th Century.
As for its sheath—probably made of a combination of leather and metal or brass—, it was nowhere to be found and has probably disintegrated long ago.
I was told that this sword belonged to a great uncle and despite the fact my family—and the entire village it originates from—is Christian, it wasn't uncommon for men to be armed to the teeth when travelling around dressed in the Turkish fashion of the era...
Any help in further indentifying this sword is welcome!
TurkishOttomanSword-c1800a.jpg

TurkishOttomanSword-c1800d.jpg

TurkishOttomanSword-c1800e.jpg

TurkishOttomanSword-c1800h.jpg

TurkishOttomanSword-c1800i.jpg

TurkishOttomanSword-c1800j.jpg

TurkishOttomanSword-c1800l.jpg

TurkishOttomanSword-c1800m.jpg

Hey Chris,

I found a very similar kindjal for sale in Canada (see 3rd from top ref. 'EW-3': http://www.denner.ca/weapons/edged_weapons/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

The seller identified it as a 'Caucasian Kindjal' although it looks quite Turkish/Ottoman to me (Arabic script/owner's name and maker's cartouche in the shape of a crescent like mine). The seller also misread the date as '1795' AD when it's actually '1295' hijri/islamic (circa 1878 in our calendar).

It's in much better shape than mine although with no blade etching...

Back