Twin Jaeger

911car

Here are two JP8 helmets. One is in pristine condition; the other is not (untouched, uncleaned; has some surface rust)... but came with original Uberzug. Of note, both eagle plates bear a number on the upper left wing matching that stamped on the shell.

Woooooow-Formidastic pair !

For some reason I have a crush on these Jäger zu Pferde helmets.

Thank you for showing !

Francis

VERY Nice! I've never seen numbers like that. Did these come from the same source / dealer / owner? I ask because they could then be numbered to keep the collector from mixing them up? Seriously though, it doesn't really matter. Two very nice helmets.

:D Ron

poniatowski said:
VERY Nice! I've never seen numbers like that. Did these come from the same source / dealer / owner? I ask because they could then be numbered to keep the collector from mixing them up? Seriously though, it doesn't really matter. Two very nice helmets.

Ron I do not know the exact reason for these matching numbers, but I have seen those on other JzP helmets, including another one I used to own. Size related? But I had never thought of your explanation... :)
These two helmets came from different sources. The one in best condition from a collection, but the other one "out of the woodwork", somewhere in the USA...
Bruno

As always Bruno fantastic pieces!! Very very cool to have that marked uberzug as well.

If these came from different sources, and you've seen the numbering elsewhere on JzP helmets, then I doubt it's a collector thing. Very nice indeed.

No collectors/dealers thing !
This kind of numbering is particular for JzPf Regt Nr 8.
I checked this before at Weize and Kube.
They were so kind to check and verify. (Pics !)
I think these were Regimental Kammer markings before distributed to the Eskadrons !
This French website mentions this: http://www.terraculturae.com/pages/cavalerie-allemande/prusse-les-jager-zu-pferde.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Francis

Many thanks to you all for the nice comments.
Thank you Francis for the link. I did not remember I had given pictures for this study but in fact some of the images with my name are not from me... It is a very nice and complete study though. It seems to be confirmed that the plate numbering was specific to JP8... this is puzzling but I double checked my JP5 helmet... no number.
Bruno

911car said:
Many thanks to you all for the nice comments.
Thank you Francis for the link. I did not remember I had given pictures for this study but in fact some of the images with my name are not from me... It is a very nice and complete study though. It seems to be confirmed that the plate numbering was specific to JP8... this is puzzling but I double checked my JP5 helmet... no number.
Bruno

Perhaps something the people who cared for helmets did (armorers?). They may have needed an identification system when they disassembled the helmets and tapped out dents and did maintenance that the troops shouldn't have attempted. With the plate (and shells) numbered as references, they could stack up all of the parts to do the maintenance. The numbers would get the right parts back to the right pile and helmet.
It's not unusual, even today, for units to have numbering systems for equipment that are unique to that organization.

Back