Two M15 Artillery helmets on a sunny Afternoon.

marty

My two favorite haubes, the only artillery helmets in my possession.
They give me a big smile every day😊.
Purchased both at the end of 1970, doing a summer job to get those unique haubes.
Fyi, M15 Wurtt has no markings.

Bregards,
Marty

Attachments

• P1130427.JPG
    P1130427.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 52
  • P1130428.JPG
    P1130428.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 44
  • P1130430.JPG
    P1130430.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 41
  • P1130431.JPG
    P1130431.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 51
  • P1130437.JPG
    P1130437.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 47
  • P1130436.JPG
    P1130436.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 52
My two favorite haubes, the only artillery helmets in my possession.
They give me a big smile every day😊.
Purchased both at the end of 1970, doing a summer job to get those unique haubes.
Fyi, M15 Wurtt has no markings.

Bregards,
Marty
Marty ;
Can you or some member explain the issue stamp / marking on the Prussian helmet ?
It is an artillery helmet and looks 100 % O K
I read the stamp as GGR5
which would be Garde Grenadier Regt 5
but that would be a Garde Infantry helmet ?
Thanks
Steve

Yes GGR 5 markings, but we all know that many M95’s were revamped and converted to M15 fittings which could be the case here. I would also not be surprised that we may have two sets of holes in this shell one of which has been filled in during the conversion. In my experience newly made M15’s ie. original manufacture often do not have Regt markings. Others may have those marks scoured off or blacked out. Still, two nice helmets in great condition!

Yes GGR 5 markings, but we all know that many M95’s were revamped and converted to M15 fittings which could be the case here. I would also not be surprised that we may have two sets of holes in this shell one of which has been filled in during the conversion. In my experience newly made M15’s ie. original manufacture often do not have Regt markings. Others may have those marks scoured off or blacked out. Still, two nice helmets in great condition!
Brian, it also has a Depot stamp reading KBAG 1915. My personal thoughts about it, is when the M16 came regularly available, the helmet was returned to a bekleidungsamt, converted into an artillery one, and then reissued. Because Garde regiments were far more at the front then artillery units, so needed the M16 more. But thats only my thoughts about the helmet. If only it could talk.
I like them both!

Brian, it also has a Depot stamp reading KBAG 1915. My personal thoughts about it, is when the M16 came regularly available, the helmet was returned to a bekleidungsamt, converted into an artillery one, and then reissued. Because Garde regiments were far more at the front then artillery units, so needed the M16 more. But thats only my thoughts about the helmet. If only it could talk.
I like them both!
Intersting ideas .
Steve

That is certainly plausible Coert and I did see the Garde Depot stamp as well. I would also expect that front line Garde units naturally were first equipped with the M16's. From veterans accounts, we know that M16's were treated as trench stores at first in the front lines. Your Company/Regt got transferred to the front lines, those helmets were issued to you.

Dear all, apologies for my belated response, was stuck to bed due a light flue.

Many thanks for your appreciations, likes and comments and yes,... if it could talk.

@Steve: can't recall if I took any notice of the markings. Purchased both from my mentor, who I trusted completely.
@coert65: ivm M16, ja sterk, an interesting thought.
@Brian: 'From vet. acc.' - interesting info.

Just a question:rolleyes:: Are f.e. rear visors already pre-marked before the completion of a helmet?

Bregards,
Marty

Last edited:
Marty,

No helmets were always marked complete. Not in the factory, or shop were they were made, but at the bekleidungsamt which took them in and distributed them to their final regimental destinations, but I am not sure if they only got the Depot markings there, and the regimental stamp too.
It is possible they got the regimental stamp when arriving at the regiment they were allotted to. Only the makers mark and size would be done at the place were they were made.

Regards, Coert.

Last edited:
I always thought that the regiment was done at the Kammer when issued to the troops
within that regiment
Steve

So do I Steve. But I'm not sure about it. I know we both mean the same thing about the regiment stamp, I guess.

Regards, Coert.

My vote also goes to stamping within the Regt. itself when they were accepted into stores. Some evidence....there was no standardization of these stampings, they vary from Regt to Regt.. We saw a recent Saxe example posted here where one R was cursive which I had never seen before. Some pioneer battalions ink stamped while others used a die punch to imprint into the leather. There are too many variations in these stampings for them to have been done at the BA Korps level. My opinion.

Marty,

No helmets were always marked complete. Not in the factory, or shop were they were made, but at the bekleidungsamt which took them in and distributed them to their final regimental destinations, but I am not sure if they only got the Depot markings there, and the regimental stamp too.
It is possible they got the regimental stamp when arriving at the regiment they were allotted to. Only the makers mark and size would be done at the place were they were made.

Regards, Coert.
Thank you Coert, taking yr time for this explanation(y).

and finally, gentlemen, as for me, this is a very informative thread.

Bregards,

Marty

Last edited:
Die Kammer
Where the enlisted men when to draw thier clothing supplies
including their helmet
Thus a helmet issued by the Kammer would sometimes bear
the Kammer stamp
Private purchase helmets would not have the Kammer stamp
I have heard that a 1 year volunteer could purchase this items from the Kammer ?
SteveDie Kammer.jpeg

Back