Type I Reichskriegsflagge

SkipperJohn

I have had this flag for many years and have never been able to fully explain what it is. It is a Type 1 Reichskriegsflagge that is hand sewn, hand drawn, and poorly put together:

z9shkAp.jpg

It is either a type 1 or a type 2 flag since the circle around the Preußischer Adler is not fully closed. The white stripes on a type 1 and a type 2 were open to the center circle:
Type 1: 1867 - 1892
Type 2: 1892 - 1903
Type 3: 1903 - 1918

Uyb2wC7.jpg

I believe that it is a type 1 because the Adler most closely matches.

The flag is made of linen and is hand sewn. The stitches are large and often do not follow a straight line. The lines forming the cross are not equal thickness. The Preußischer Adler is hand drawn and looks like it could have been made by a child in school:

wiDLnYA.jpg

IHLGHsr.jpg

fKF4qTr.jpg

The edges of the flag are poorly finished:

460v9u5.jpg

This flag has passed the black light test (nothing glows at all) and it has passed the "thread burn" test. It appears that the cloth is quite old.
I do not know whether this is a field expedient, trench art, or something a child made during the war. It could also be complete Junk. I liked it the moment I saw it and the price was right, so I used it for display. It obviously took someone a long time to make. I have never seen one like it before, or since. I have talked to other collectors and nobody can really identify what it is. There does seem to be agreement that it is old. This flag measures 55.88 cm X 81.28 cm (22 X 32 inches).
I use it as a display piece:

Has anybody ever seen one of these? Can anyone venture a guess as to what exactly it is?
Any additional information is appreciated.

John :)

Last edited:
I used to have a catalog from a flag producer. That might have given us some more insight. Unfortunately, it is gone now.

Hey John,

I bought an enlisted Kreigsmarine shako from a port city in Japan off of eBay years ago. Point being that the German Navy and German Marine Corps were cruising around the PACRIM during the time period of your type-one flag. Boxer rebellion time frame, and what-not.

If it looks hand made perhaps it was done by a Chinese sew shop on the directions of a German Sailor or Marine. That would be my first guess. The WWII German flags I've looked at that use the same overall pattern but with a swastika in the center have almost invariably been marked for the Kreigsmarine, so maybe that?

Heck, you are a Marine. Most of us throw an older camouflage uniform blouse and a couple of bucks at some sew shop lady anywhere from Djibouti to P.I. and get back a hat, a duty book cover, a cruise patch, or any number of things with an EGA hand sewn onto it by the next day. Your flag looks to be about at "sew-shop Lady" level out of Shanghai or somewhere, and extremely cool at that! It reminds me of China Marine stuff that I've seen from the 1920s and 30s. I would kill to have a flag like yours. Better than an issue one in my opinion.

You think that's a possibility?

S/F-Bryan.

USMC-EOD said:
Hey John,

I bought an enlisted Kreigsmarine shako from a port city in Japan off of eBay years ago. Point being that the German Navy and German Marine Corps were cruising around the PACRIM during the time period of your type-one flag. Boxer rebellion time frame, and what-not.

If it looks hand made perhaps it was done by a Chinese sew shop on the directions of a German Sailor or Marine. That would be my first guess. The WWII German flags I've looked at that use the same overall pattern but with a swastika in the center have almost invariably been marked for the Kreigsmarine, so maybe that?

Heck, you are a Marine. Most of us throw an older camouflage uniform blouse and a couple of bucks at some sew shop lady anywhere from Djibouti to P.I. and get back a hat, a duty book cover, a cruise patch, or any number of things with an EGA hand sewn onto it by the next day. Your flag looks to be about at "sew-shop Lady" level out of Shanghai or somewhere, and extremely cool at that! It reminds me of China Marine stuff that I've seen from the 1920s and 30s. I would kill to have a flag like yours. Better than an issue one in my opinion.

You think that's a possibility?

S/F-Bryan.

Greetings Marine and happy belated Birthday!
Your idea is a real possibility. I never thought of that. The flag is not marked to the Kriegsmarine, or anyone else for that matter, but it does look like it could have come out of a Japanese sew shop.
Good thought. Will probably never know the whole truth.

Semper Fi,
John

Last edited:
Back