Ultra Rare MG JB #7

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Another very rare example from the McFarland collection, the fotos speak for themselves. Joe we need to get these markings into the archives. Thanks to Steve for sending these photos.

Wow, that one takes my breath away. Incredibly awesome! =D> :bravo:

Thanks for posting it Brian! :thumb up:

Best Regards,

Alan

I thought the MG Kompagnien wore the same uniform as the parent unit, and only the MG Abteilungen had the special uniform independent of the unit they were assigned to. The MG Abteilung in the VII. A.K. was assigned to I.R. 158 at Senne/Paderborn according to Führer durch Heer und Flotte 1914. So how does the J.B. 7 stamp end up in an MG Abteilung Tschako? Or am I completely wrong here?

I thought the MG Kompagnien wore the same uniform as the parent unit, and only the MG Abteilungen had the special uniform independent of the unit they were assigned to.

I am with Lars on this one. I cannot understand the connection with a MG Shako and the Lippe Feldzeichen with a JB 7 stamp. It makes no sense.

The MG company of JB 7 would have worn the normal Jäger Shako and uniform of that battalion.

Regards
Glenn

All I can say, is that I am the messenger here so don't shoot me! However, a feldzeichen is easily removed/replaced but those markings are legitimate as far as I am concerned. I also would remind collectors.......there is reality, and then there is what is "supposed to be" which is written on paper.

We should not discount the possibility that following the introduction of the September 1915 uniform regulations and the discontinuation of the pre-war MG-Abteilungen uniform, that surplus stocks of the pre-war shako found their way to Jäger battalions and were used as a form or "ersatz" headgear?

Regards
Glenn

Glennj said:
We should not discount the possibility that following the introduction of the September 1915 uniform regulations and the discontinuation of the pre-war MG-Abteilungen uniform, that surplus stocks of the pre-war shako found their way to Jäger battalions and were used as a form or "ersatz" headgear?

Regards
Glenn

I have been working on this problem
since Steve sent me the pictures. Something does not fit easily. No problem with the originality of the helmet however, the mark and the type do not match. I think the clue might be the date. 1914.JB7 Was completely mauled at the initial battle of Liege 6 August. The casualties were so severe that the battalion was only able to field two companies which were so understrength that by 12 August they had to be combined into one company.

Therefore, the entire battalion had to be reconstituted. This leads back to Glenn's thought. Old stocks could easily have been accessed. Not definitive at all but plausible.

Back