Uniform and Pickelhaube ID Help

NightWitch588

This is a photo of my husband's 2x great grandfather, Albert Logan Gooden. He was born in 1862.
I found a record from 1903 that shows Albert L. Gooden was a Captain in the Nebraska National Guard, Co. "B", 1st Infantry. I am in possession of a ladder badge that also contains this information. My (limited) understanding is that ladder badges were first made around/after the Civil War, which Albert is too young to have been part of.
Unfortunately, there was no date on this photo of Albert.
I would like to know which military conflict this uniform belongs to, including the pickelhaube helmet.

A.L.Gooden.jpg

ladderbadge_alg.jpg

Can anyone help me solve this mystery?

This is a photo of my husband's 2x great grandfather, Albert Logan Gooden. He was born in 1862.
I found a record from 1903 that shows Albert L. Gooden was a Captain in the Nebraska National Guard, Co. "B", 1st Infantry. I am in possession of a ladder badge that also contains this information. My (limited) understanding is that ladder badges were first made around/after the Civil War, which Albert is too young to have been part of.
Unfortunately, there was no date on this photo of Albert.
I would like to know which military conflict this uniform belongs to, including the pickelhaube helmet.

View attachment 28714

View attachment 28715

Can anyone help me solve this mystery?
Wonderful photo.

The US Army wore spiked helmets in the 1880's, probably into the 1890's. The Spanish-American war was in 1898, so if he was in a conflict, it was likely that one.

The US Army wore spiked helmets in the 1880's, probably into the 1890's. The Spanish-American war was in 1898, so if he was in a conflict, it was likely that one.
Thank you- I found a random illustration of uniforms from the Spanish American war that included a pickelhaube helmet, but haven’t been able to verify it was actually used. 🙂

Back