Unique sleeve insignia of 208. Infanterie-Division

k bandow

As far as I know, 208. Infanterie-Division was the only one to have unique sleeve insignia for its Regiments. I would love to see what other photos you may all have of this insignia.

I only have a few, but I am more than happy to share them. 52618765667_d7e63173d6_h.jpg
325135768_743148640564202_7234693083961512457_n.jpg

This is totally new to me as well I have never seen this. Can one of you give us some background history on this division insignia?

Here's a CDV studio-photo from my collection with a soldier also wearing this sleeve insignia.
Note that the picture is taken in Eupen , Belgium (the German speaking part).
I've never been able to figure out what it's for, so if anyone knows that would be great.

Attachments

• sleeve1.JPG
    sleeve1.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 15
  • sleeve2.JPG
    sleeve2.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 15
The CEF had a system of “Div Patches” which were worn on the shoulder but this, I have never seen.

Here is one reference I have available:320001484_530660435653844_3069623536035307868_n.jpg

And per my friend Andrew Lucas:

"So far as I know, this was a unique experiment by the 208.ID, presumably intended to allow unit recognition when shoulder straps were removed for security reasons. It bears some resemblance to British practices with alternative 'secret' insignia at the divisional level. I've not seen any indication of how long the 208.ID went with this system, which would certainly have been deduced by the enemy after a while."

Last edited:
Here's a CDV studio-photo from my collection with a soldier also wearing this sleeve insignia.
Note that the picture is taken in Eupen , Belgium (the German speaking part).
I've never been able to figure out what it's for, so if anyone knows that would be great.
Great example! He is a soldier of Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr.65.

Here is one reference I have available:View attachment 28678

And per my friend Andrew Lucas:

"So far as I know, this was a unique experiment by the 208.ID, presumably intended to allow unit recognition when shoulder straps were removed for security reasons. It bears some resemblance to British practices with alternative 'secret' insignia at the divisional level. I've not seen any indication of how long the 208.ID went with this system, which would certainly have been deduced by the enemy after a while."
What is this reference from ?
Thanks
Steve

Back