Unknown German pilot

Reingold

Hello everyone! I have already written that German pilots are one of the priority topics for me. But there are not many items in the collection yet. There is a photo of an unknown serviceman of the aviation battalion, awarded the Iron Cross of the 2nd class. I assume that this is a guards battalion.
Thank you

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 23
I assume that this is a guards battalion.
Thank you

Why do you assume Guards Battalion? Is it because of the collar Litzen ?

That was part of the Fliegertruppen Uniform, If Bavarian or Wuerttemberg he would have double Litzen. Hope this helps (y)

thank you! No, I think so because he doesn't have a number on his shoulder straps.

I always thought that no number designated they belonged to a flight training school. Because they were instructors for the entire service they didn't belong to any specific Flight battalion or Abteilung so they had no number.

Yes, maybe so. In this case, he has already arrived at the school as an experienced pilot or transferred from another branch of the armed forces. Since he was awarded the Iron Cross

Yes, maybe so. In this case, he has already arrived at the school as an experienced pilot or transferred from another branch of the armed forces. Since he was awarded the Iron Cross

That would be two options and both would certainly explain him having the Iron Cross. (y)

I was just trying to help ya out with your reason for assuming Guard battalion, I think we worked it out.

Cool picture by the way ;)

Back