Unterseeboot dum docent, discunt

Lost Skeleton

Next to flight qualification badges, the second most problematic badge confronting the German Imperial collector is quite possibly the U-Bootkreigsabzeichen. According to Gordon Williamson, author of U-Boat Crews 1914–45 (Osprey ©1995), “The U-Boat war badge was introduced in February 1918 and was intended to recognise all U-Boat crew members who had participated in at least three operational war cruises, though this condition could be waived if the crew member was wounded in action.”

The badge was fabricated from either die struck or die forged brass, and subsequently fire gilt. Ironically, despite mutiny and the Kaiser's abdication, the Imperial U-Bootkriegsabzeichen was in continuous manufacture throughout the 1920s to mid 1930s, satisfying the requirements of veteran submariners serving in the Reichsmarine. Though replaced in 1939 by a modernized badge reflecting Nazi aesthetics, Imperial badges continued to be worn and, to a lesser degree, manufactured as late as the 1950s.

Given the cast/forged nature of the badge, the U-Bootkreigsabzeichen has been easily and heavily faked. All that is really required to produce fraudulent badges are molds of plaster, sand, silicone, or wax hubbed from an original, a suitable alloy, small forge, gilt paint, and soldering equipment.

Frauds resembling the die struck badges would be more difficult to achieve and would most likely involve electroforming. To my knowledge, these have not been attempted.

On the plus side, plaster molds shrink as they dry, and fakes made from these would be measurably smaller and thinner than authentic badges. Sand molds would yield poor detail. In many cases, existing fakes are extremely crude and easy to identify. However, the financial incentive for deception is strong and the technology constantly improving. Soon, it will be exceedingly difficult to distinguish good from bad.

The purpose of this article is to profile five badges, two that I know to be authentic, one “judgment call,” and two probable fakes. The reader will benefit from greatly magnified views exposing the subtle and blatant anomalies unscrupulous dealers and eBay con artists would prefer no one know about.

Badge number one is die struck and hollow (cliché) with a screw-back fastener.

PICT0411.jpg

Behind the crown is a small mound of solder where a supplemental attachment hook was originally affixed. The reverse detail is every bit as sharp as the obverse, indicating the badge is indeed die struck.

PICT0412.jpg

Looking over the top of the badge at the U-Boot superstructure: Note the vaulted hull.

PICT0494.jpg

The “clamshell” fastener, a thing of beauty in its own right.

PICT0413.jpg

PICT0414.jpg

Conclusion: This is a textbook die struck badge. The vaulted profile and screw-back indicate private purchase.

Badge number two is a die forged solid pin-back.

PICT0368.jpg

The reverse of the crown is crisply hallmarked with the Wappen of Paul Meybauer. Note how flat and smooth the surface is.

PICT0372.jpg

Full reverse. The tapered pin is sometimes referred to as a “Coke bottle” pin

PICT0371.jpg

Close-up detail of the hinge: Many collectors believe the construction and finishing of the hinge and pin are more important in establishing a badge’s authenticity than any other factor.

PICT0391.jpg

Conclusion: This is a textbook die forged badge. The Meybauer hallmark is die punched; finish and detail are excellent.

Badge number three is a massive die forged solid pin-back.

Note the lower profile of the conning tower and the torpedo-like hull.

PICT0489.jpg

Close-up detail of the crown reveals the base metal to be Tombak or copper. The first cause for concern is the casting anomaly beneath the crown to the right of the knotted “ribbon” binding the wreath of laurels.

PICT0417.jpg

Despite the flaw, which may have been caused by residual detritus in the die prior to forging, the details are clean and precise (as can be seen in an overview of the superstructure).

PICT0418.jpg

The reverse is nicely finished, but the needle shaped pin represents a second possible red flag. As stated previously, this is a heavy badge and the pin does not seem suitable to the task. However, pins like this were occasionally utilized on Nazi sub badges. The base of the hinge is forged and part of the monolithic casting.

PICT0416.jpg

Conclusion: A beautiful badge not conforming to pattern. It appears too nicely detailed and finished to be an outright forgery. The badge may be an example of Third Reich, or later, manufacture. Given my investment, I can live with the uncertain provenance, and challenge anyone to find another like it.

Badge number four is another die-forged solid pin-back.

The characteristics of this badge are frequently attributed to the firm of Walter Schot f.e.c. (though the badge is not marked as such). The badge appears to be bronze with no traces of gilt. The presence of verdigris prompted the loquacious Internet dealer to describe it as “salty.” There is a casting flaw resembling an inverted air bubble in the right arch of the crown.

PICT0421.jpg

Complimenting the crude appearance of the obverse, the reverse features a less than convincing flat pin and a surface that has been burnished on a wire wheel.

PICT0422.jpg

Conclusion: This is one ugly badge, poor in finish and detail. The burnishing most likely represents a clumsy attempt at hiding casting imperfections (though the hinge base is monolithic). I regard the badge as a literal forgery. However, Herr Weitze offers a twin in item #75116, which he describes as “eines der wenigen verliehenen (sic) Originale.” (one of the few conferred(?) originals). His price is €600.00. I am willing to entertain offers.

75116.jpg

75116_1.jpg

Badge number five is a die forged solid pin-back.

This badge exemplifies the necessity for extreme caution when faced with personalized engraving. Once again, we have a badge attributed to Firma Schot:

PICT0437-1.jpg

At first glance, the badge has a definite edge on its predecessor. However, the reverse is the real attention grabber.

PICT0439-1.jpg

For the record, the UC 70 was sunk by a depth charge off the coast of Whitby, England on 28 August 1918 with a loss of all hands. Oberleutnant zur See der Reserve Kurt Heinrich served as the boat’s executive officer. The engraved lettering appears of the period, the facts check, and there are no glaring errors with respect to form. This was sufficient cause for me to gamble on eBay. With hindsight, it was a calamitous move.

Now, to see whether anyone actually reads these "tutorials," I invite your participation in analyzing the badge. The pictures provide the important clues. Please, have a go (it’s supposed to be fun).

PICT0440.jpg

PICT0441.jpg

PICT0438.jpg

Chas.

Great tutorial, Chas. I have never owned a sub badge primarily based on my limited experience of them. Perhaps, with my new-found knowledge I'll try to find a "real" one. Here is my "schot" at picking out the anomilies on your last badge:

Crispness of detail is lacking and casting marks have not been finished on the interior of the badge.

Bottom crown panel edge (below the cross) is totally obliterated and same inverted air bubble casting flaw identified on the other copies above is found on the upper portion of the crown.

Although the pin is "coke bottle" shaped, the hinge differs substantially in construction from the good badge and is constructed similarly to the copies above.

Lastly, the u-boat on the copies seem to curve up like a bannana, while boat and more specifically the deck is straight and level on the good badges

How many did I miss?

Dave

Superbly done. Like Dave, I do not have one, but honestly, I am just too frugal and (frankly) terrified at the prospect of spending Army pay on what could be a well-made replica due to lack of experience. A shame they never came out with a Linienschiff Abzeichen.......

I have never seen a die struck cliché with a screw-back fastener. But the quality seems to be what I would expect if I was looking at any other period badge. Didn't know you were into these as heavy as you are? Must make quite a nice Riker mount display!

Hi Dave and Tony:

Thanks for taking the time to digest it all. I never intended to throw myself into collecting multiples of these. However, the clinkers preceded the decent ones, and I decided to put them all to good use here. It's not easy parading my collecting gaffes. For example, the engraved badge set me back $550.00, but to you it's just a picture and an object lesson.

I should emphasize, however, these are just my opinions. I could be dead wrong regarding the integrity of the Weitze badge, and my own for that matter. What is readily apparent under extreme magnification can be invisible to the naked eye. Reducing three dimensional objects to two dimensional images can introduce misleading distortions that exist only in the camera lens. These badges were mass produced, and flawed legitimate badges undoubtedly exist. By early 1918, more urgent priorities existed, and I suspect very few crews actually received the badge during wartime. However, egregious casting problems are hard to ignore.

Dave did quite well in adducing the problems. However, real Schot badges actually feature a boat with a slightly curved deck. All I can add to Dave's observations is the dip that appears in the hull in the vicinity of the conning tower:

PICT0441.jpg

This uneveness can only be explained as the byproduct of a faulty mold (most likely plaster)

The extreme loss of detail on the right side of the crown is pretty damning. No forged badge from an original die could ever be that flawed. The chunky pin has been deliberately twisted at the hinge solely to enable it to meet with the hook soldered in the wrong place. Additionally, the top of the hinge was burnished on a grinder after soldering because it was evidently visible from the front of the badge.

Here's a further twist to this same pin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWI-GERMAN-NAVY-SUB-COMMANDER-GOLD-COMBAT-BADGE_W0QQitemZ290058168800QQihZ019QQcategoryZ13965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Though vertical pins were sometimes utilized on Nazi U-Bootkriegsabzeichen, I have yet to see one on a genuine Imperial badge.

Chas.

Hi Chas: Excellent essay on submarine badges. Very nice work.

In my opinion any Imperial German badge that shows evidence of casting (mold seams, pits, bubbles, etc.) is a copy and was probably produced in the latter half of the 20th century. I also believe that the "coke bottle pin" is indicative of between the wars or later manufacture.

The following image is a die struck Walter Schot marked submarine badge that conforms with accepted original examples.
Reservist1

Hi R1:

Thank you for posting. The difference between your magnificent Schot and my two pretenders is night and day.

I think I'm suffering from Abzeichen envy. :love10:

Chas.

As I looked at link on ebay another one was posted . the price is high

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6615496955&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=290058168800&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget

Nice article , I used to read this type on various Assaults Badge in Militari , When it was in English Print.
Mark

Charles,

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I enjoyed reading it and am now convinced that I will never own one of these. It is one of those things that I should have bought back in the 1970s. Now it is too late, like with so many other commonly faked items. Speaking of the 1970s, that was the era when I got out of WWII German militaria collecting, because there were too many fakes! Those repros are now over thirty years old. I never thought that this sort of thing would come to imperial collecting. Silly me.

Chip

Back