Untouched attic find Prussian "kit" helmet by Firma von der Heyden of Berlin

ww1czechlegion

Hello,

Here's a recent untouched attic find Prussian metal kit helmet made by the company Firma von der Heyden of Berlin.

The exterior is covered with thick dust under the eagle, which is held on by a bamboo stick through the round horizontal tube/flange mounted on the back side of the Prussian wappen/front plate. Typical of this type of helmet.

The rear of the helmet has a coating of untouched dust that has dried onto the black finish of the helmet. I have left this untouched as recently found. I believe it will most likely wipe off with a lightly damp cloth, but I will leave that for a future owner to decide what to do with the dust.

There are a few scattered red paint splatters mainly on the brass Prussian eagle, to the left of the eagle on the black finish of the helmet shell, and on the outside of the front visor, all as seen in the photos. One always wonders what these helmets experienced in the 100+ years since they were brought home from WW1.

The brass fittings appear to have some discoloration from what I believe is a lacquer finish that was applied over the brass fittings. This discoloration appears to be even on all the brass fittings with the exception of the Prussian wappen/front plate, which appears to have the nice original gilt finish remaining on the eagle.

The cross on the orb in the eagle's claw has been broken off at some time in the past, as seen on the viewer's lower right side of the eagle.

The leather liner looks almost unworn, with no damage to the leather "tongues", and the leather adjustment thin strap is still intact laced between the leather tongues.

The seldom seen original round felt pad is still intact inside the crown of the helmet.

The silver or chromed color small rivet button is intact in the back of the liner, but has pulled away from the other side of the leather liner, but has not torn where it pulled away. This is typical from my experience with these helmets.

A hex nut holds the back visor trim to the underside of the back visor, as is typical for these kit helmets by von der Heyden.

Remnants of the "Firma von der Heyden" stenciled maker mark are still visible on the underside of the front visor.

The chinstrap and kokardes for this helmet have been lost to time.

There are 3-small dents to the helmet body, which I've circled in a red line to show their location. Again, something that is typical for these thin metal "kit" helmets.

Best Regards,

Alan

101_2811.JPG

101_2800.JPG

101_2801.JPG

101_2802.JPG

101_2803.JPG

Helmet Price:

$1,250.00 or Best Offer. + Shipping + 1/2 the PayPal fee.

I would appreciate it if the buyer will split the 4+% PayPal fee with me, by adding 2% to the price.

Shipment to USA 48-States: $16.00 via Priority Mail with Tracking.

Shipment to Canada: $35.00 via 1st Class International Mail Package, with Tracking.

Shipment to Singapore: $65.00 via 1st Class International Mail Package with Tracking.

Shipment to Australia and New Zealand: $65.00 via 1st Class International Mail Package with Tracking.

Shipment to United Kingdom, Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands: $65.00 via 1st Class International Mail Package with Tracking. (It might actually be sent via Priority International Mail, for that price, but I will not know that until I take the package to the Post Office to mail it.)

Thanks,

Alan

email me at: [email protected] (the 00's are Zero's)

Another great helmet Alan which fortunately, I also have in my collection thanks to Randy T 20+ years ago. We have a thread here on the forum about these kit helmets. The construction of these helmets is also shown in our recently added "Manufacture" area on the forum. Mine also has the felt pad up in the crown of the shell which often has been lost to time. I would highly recommend this type of pickelhaube to any member, as they are when not abused, indestructible! I intend leaving mine to my daughter as a reminder of her old man's obsession with pointy hats. My son wants my Kurassier M15, which is cool as well!

b.loree said:
Another great helmet Alan which fortunately, I also have in my collection thanks to Randy T 20+ years ago. We have a thread here on the forum about these kit helmets. The construction of these helmets is also shown in our recently added "Manufacture" area on the forum. Mine also has the felt pad up in the crown of the shell which often has been lost to time. I would highly recommend this type of pickelhaube to any member, as they are when not abused, indestructible! I intend leaving mine to my daughter as a reminder of her old man's obsession with pointy hats. My son wants my Kurassier M15, which is cool as well!

What are you leaving me Brian?

James

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your message, and for adding the new section on the forum about helmet manufacturing, that's really great!

And thanks for your recommendation on this helmet, I appreciate it!

We're all curious which helmet you'll be leaving James also! :D

Best Wishes,

Alan

Hmmmm....that is going to take some serious thought. What do you leave to a guy who owns over 200 helmets??

Back