US Army Changing Uniforms

Liongules

I saw somewhere else that the US Army will be discontinuing the green uniform they've worn since sometime in the mid/late 1950's along with the dress white uniform (which very few people wore anyway). The uniform formerly known as Dress Blues will now become the Army Service Uniform and will be for everyday wear whenever the Battle Dress Uniform is not worn.

http://www.army.mil/symbols/uniforms/

Blue was the traditional color of the US Army for a long time, so the change makes sense.

And now there is a collector's market for the dress greens!

Peter_Suciu said:
Blue was the traditional color of the US Army for a long time, so the change makes sense.

And now there is a collector's market for the dress greens!
Peter,

Yes, I know it's traditional, I guess I just think the uniform is a bit too fancy for everyday wear in this day and age. If this were 1890 I'd say fine, but we've become used to more subdued everyday uniforms. Just my opinion.

I think there are just two extremes. The very dressy and the fatigues. I guess soldiers will just always wear the fatigues.

We know see soldiers travel in their camo fatigues. In the old days you didn't travel that way. I guess this is progress!

This proably a cost cutting measure as well as a recruiting thing.
I do noy know all the variations of the US uniform classifaication ( for the Army) .
I know Canada has cut down the amount of unifroms for issue. Regimental kit such as Scarlets and Patrols ETC. are incurred expenses by each individual Regiment.
Mark

Back