USN Captain's Service Coat

A

Anonymous

I can hear the groans already. "Not another stupid navy item." "Hasn't he learned nobody cares about that junk?" "American?" "Yuck!"

Oh well. Suffice it to say, very little of this stuff survives.

It seems as though the United States has always been prepared to fight the previous war, and, with respect to uniforms, the same holds true. This is the July 1, 1897 USN General Regulations description of the officer's service coat:

SERVICE COAT
For all officers, a coat of dark navy-blue cloth or serge, shaped to the figure, to descend to top of inseam of trousers; a slit over each hip extending on the right side 5 inches from the bottom of the coat, and on the left side as high as the position of the lower edge of the sword belt; single-breasted, with a "fly" front fitted with plain, flat, black gutta-percha buttons, and a standing collar. The collar, edges of the coat, side seams of the back from the shoulder to the lower edge of the skirt, and edges of the hip slits to 5 inches from bottom of coat shall be trimmed with lustrous black mohair braid 1-1/4 inches wide laid on flat, beside which, at a distance of one-eighth of an inch, with an overhand turn three-eighths of an inch in diameter at each change of direction, a narrow black silk braid one-eighth of an inch wide shall be placed. On each side of the collar shall be embroidered in high relief, 1 inch in width, the corps badge and grade devices.

In warm weather, a similar coat made of white linen duck or cotton twill, trimmed with white braid, but without collar devices, shall be worn. Shoulder straps shall be worn with this coat by commissioned officers.

The service coat shall be worn entirely buttoned.

Twenty years later, presumably, this was still de rigeuer

KICX0416.jpg

KICX0419.jpg

EMBROIDERED COLLAR DEVICES FOR SERVICE COATS

Collar devices for the service coat shall be embroidered in high relief upon dark navy-blue cloth. They shall be 1 inch in height, with other dimensions proportionate, and shall be placed vertically or horizontally with reference to the upper edge of the collar.

The rank device shall commence three-quarters of an inch from the front edge of the collar. The corps device shall be placed three-quarters of an inch in rear of the rear edge of the rank device.

For flag officers the stars shall be placed 1 1/4 inches between centers, with one point up, the center line of the upper point being at right angles to the upper edge of the collar.

Where two bars are worn the distance between them shall be the width of a bar. The bar shall always be placed at right angles to the upper edge of the collar.

The anchor shall be placed with the shank parallel to the upper edge of the collar, and the crown to the front. Devices representing a leaf or a sprig of leaves shall be placed with the axes parallel to the upper edge or the collar, stem to the front, and acorn, if any, on the upper side.

Devices shall be as follows:
For rear admirals.-- Two silver stars and a silver foul anchor.
For commodores.-- One silver star and a silver foul anchor.
For captains.-- A silver spread eagle and a silver foul anchor.
For commanders.-- A silver oak leaf and a silver foul anchor.
For lieutenant commanders.-- A gold oak leaf and a silver foul anchor.
For lieutenants.--Two silver bars and a silver foul anchor.
For lieutenants (junior grade).-- One silver bar and a silver foul anchor.
For ensigns.-- A silver foul anchor.
For naval cadets (line division) who have completed the four years' course at the Naval Academy.-- A gold foul anchor.

Staff officers shall wear the same rank devices as are prescribed for line officers with whom they have relative rank, substituting the proper corps devices for the anchor.

Warrant officers, mates, and pay clerks shall wear the same devices on the collar of their service coat as are prescribed for the frock coat.

KICX0417.jpg

Pretty soporific reading, ain't it. I'll have to pull out a measuring tape to see if my jacket is faithful to the regulations.

Here's an easy quiz. What regulation has been ignored by this Captain? Ah, the privileges of rank.

Captain.jpg

Chas.

Here's an easy quiz. What regulation has been ignored by this Captain? Ah, the privileges of rank.

The service coat shall be worn entirely buttoned.

That was an easy one
Gus

Very, very nice coat! :D

I've always liked the simplicity of these uniforms. The British army had very dressy frock coats in the 1880s-90s that had black braid on the chests. Sometimes I think that's dressier than all that gold!

Hi Gus, Hi Mike:

Thank you for taking the time to look. As you can see, this service coat has seen a lot of service. Much of the black dye has been rubbed from the silk braid, and the heavy wear areas of the serge have acquired a sheen.

I've tried to make this point in the past, but it falls largely on deaf ears. If German style Pickelhauben had been worn by the U.S. Army, there would be not a single unanswered question regarding who wore what, what diameter Kokarde was worn by whom, etc. It would all be spelled out in the regulations (which can be located in a matter of seconds via the internet). Of course, it helps that neither World War was fought here. We did not experience abdication, anarchy, or reparations. Our records weren't destroyed in fire bombings or stolen by the Reds. However, it still amazes me the degree to which collecting Imperial Germany is deductive, interpretive, and speculative. Just when one thinks he's on the right track, a variant pops up to prove the null.

It doesn't pay to be a loser.

Chas.

Chas,
Beautiful tunic! I for one appreciate it, because 20 years ago I used to collect Spanish American War, particularly USN. I had a hard time dating uniform stuff, particularly enlisted. It made it fun though,because nobody else knew either, and I picked up some beautiful pieces for short money. I had a lot of stuff from the USS Maine, including a rifle, pieces of the ship, etc. etc. Had a bunch of the "Donald Duck" hats, some with beautiful hand embroidered designs on the top. One of the few things I regret parting with in my collecting career, so whenever I see stuff like this I get pangs.
Steve

Our records weren't destroyed in fire bombings or stolen by the Reds.
No, our records were not distroyed by fire bombing, but they were distroied by fir a few decades ago, there was apearently no attempt to salvage them, and it is nearly impossible to get information from the government on service men and wome's records. When my grandmother applyed to the VA for medical treatment, she was told that she never served, if she had not been a pack rat, she may never have gotten the benefits she deserved.
Stepping off my soap box now
Gus

Hi Gus:

You are, no doubt, referring to the fire in St. Louis, MO. I have half a mind to suspect it was arson.

Chas.

Yes Chas,
A few years ago, I found an internet site that was titled "restored service records lost in fire", I had hopes that I could find records of my grandfather's service, but the records in question were in London, there has been no attempt (to my knowledge) to recover records of US servicemen (and women)
Gus

Just an FYI. The records center in St.Louis was torched by anti-war protestors during the Viet Nam war.

Chip

Back