ventilation in officer helmet

pppara

hi everybody,
a wellknown dealer sell a helmet with an interesting ventilation system.
four ventilation holes are in the liner, two on the helmet under the spike basis. An opening has been done under the rear spine, and two at its basis with an ingenuous system to hide them.
do you have already this type of ventilation system ?
In your opinion when is this from?
thanks
pp
aeration.PNG

I don't seem to know the seller so I have not seen the helmet .
The condition of the interior is outstanding
about mint
I have not seen this system before
What regiment is it from ?
My first thought is that maybe the helmet was made after WWI
for wear by the owner
Steve

Really interesting. I have never seen this ventilation system before.
It would be very interestin to see the exterior of the body.

I don't seem to know the seller so I have not seen the helmet .
The condition of the interior is outstanding
about mint
I have not seen this system before
What regiment is it from ?
My first thought is that maybe the helmet was made after WWI
for wear by the owner
Steve
I once owned an otter fur Husaren officers busby .When the kolpack was removed
the top was not solid but had a fabric mesh top for ventilation. The only like that I have ever seen.
Steve

I have read from helmet tests with ventilationsystems behind the Wappen or the Rosettes but nothing like this. The split pins are also very thin.
I would tend to post ww1.

in the description of this helmet, it's said that's a stamp form DMAG with two date 1912 and 1913.....

I know this helmet. I had it in my hands and could scrutinize it. Yet, I do not have much to add to what ppara wrote. I do not think it is a post-WW1 production, or at least it is not a typical one. These modifications have been made very carefully. After all, these officer helmets were hand made privately by specialty milliners. Why not ask and pay for extra amenities as long as the outside appearance remained the same?
In my opinion, this helmet is very nice and trustworthy. This being said, it may always be a little more difficult to re-sell a helmet that is not totally kosher, even if the modification is authentic from the period.

Hi Bruno.
this helmet is fantastic....but your assessment is very relevant. It's very difficult to re-sell a helmet which is not compliant with the standard....
i'll think about it some days ....

I know this helmet. I had it in my hands and could scrutinize it. Yet, I do not have much to add to what ppara wrote. I do not think it is a post-WW1 production, or at least it is not a typical one. These modifications have been made very carefully. After all, these officer helmets were hand made privately by specialty milliners. Why not ask and pay for extra amenities as long as the outside appearance remained the same?
In my opinion, this helmet is very nice and trustworthy. This being said, it may always be a little more difficult to re-sell a helmet that is not totally kosher, even if the modification is authentic from the period.
It's a question of points of view.
For example, I would prefer it to a standard model.

My 2 cents on this, the helmet is fascinating and I would love to own it as an example of a high end helmet. But nearly 5000€ are a lot of money and as Bruno and pppara rightly said, you may not get your money back in event of a future sell. So I would only buy it if money wasn't an issue.

My 2 cents on this, the helmet is fascinating and I would love to own it as an example of a high end helmet. But nearly 5000€ are a lot of money and as Bruno and pppara rightly said, you may not get your money back in event of a future sell. So I would only buy it if money wasn't an issue.
If only money wasn't an issue, there would be an army in my house!

It's a question of points of view.
For example, I would prefer it to a standard model.
I agree with Zeb .
When you collect for 50 years + and see
a helmet that is different from all others that you have seen
it becomes of interest.
I have never looked at collecting as I hope to get my money back
If I do then that is good
If not it has been fun and I enjoy it
There are many things that we never get our money back on
Steve

I have to correct my opinion here after reading the officers' clothing regulations again. In the regulation from 1899 is written "Lüftungsvorrichtung in der Hinterschiene freigestellt“, which means that a ventilation device on the rear spine was allowed on officers helmets since 1899. This really seems to be a rare example of a helmet equipped with such an extra. Really cool!
B30C31E0-BA5E-4888-995C-6E528284D572.jpeg
(Source: Bekleidungs-Vorschrift für Offiziere und Sanitätsoffiziere des königlich preußischen Heeres - Berlin 1899)

Back