VERY new to this world, need help with identification

oldrag71

Hello,
I just purchased a pickelhaube for my son's upcoming birthday and I'm hoping it is legit. I would like to have as much info on it as I can so when I give it to him I can tell him what it is...or...if it's not good, have to look for something else. I am interested in the white writing on the inside back tail. It reads something MAYER or MAYERL or?? There is also some black markings behind the white stamp...the last two look kind of like a "K" and a "2", but it's really tough to see. Also on the tail is a "5C". I have looked and cannot find any information on that. There is a marker stamp inside the helmet that I believe is "Hans Romer". There is also a size stamp inside. Please help with any identification of the markings. I have additional pictures, but sent the ones I thought were the most helpful. Thanks in advance!thumbnail_IMG_0258.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0259.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0259.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 21
  • thumbnail_IMG_0261.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0261.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 23
  • thumbnail_IMG_0270.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0270.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 23
  • thumbnail_IMG_0247.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0247.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 23
Hi Oldrag,
From what I can see it looks good. The black mark behind the white stamp is most likely the unit stamp, but I can't read that, it seems to end with "62" but not very sure. The "5C" on the other side means 5th Company.
Missing cockades and chin-strap, but certainly a nice gift!
Regards,
Lars

Maybe some pictures from the inside will help identify any replaced parts of the helmet, pictures from the back would be nice too

Thanks for the info! Any ideas on the white stamp that says something like MAYERL or MAYEL or??? Here are some more pictures. The helmet does have cockades, however from what little I know, I don't think the Saxony cockade can be on a helmet with that Wappen....is that correct?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0248 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0248 (1).jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 26
  • thumbnail_IMG_0249 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0249 (1).jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 21
  • thumbnail_IMG_0251.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0251.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 21
  • thumbnail_IMG_0250.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0250.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 21
  • thumbnail_IMG_0253.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0253.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 17
  • thumbnail_IMG_0255.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0255.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 16
  • thumbnail_IMG_0266.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0266.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 22
  • thumbnail_IMG_0268.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0268.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 21
If the number is indeed a 62, that would make it the 3rd Upper Silesian Infantry Regiment Nr.62 which was a Prussian unit.

You're correct you will need to find a set of serrated edge style cockades one in the Black/White Prussian colours and the other in the Red/White/Black Imperial colours. They will be considerably easier to find and cheaper than the Saxon cockades you have. So, they are the wrong cockades (kokarden) but they are something of a bonus.

Pretty nice M15 Prussian pickelhaube and yes lucky for you Prussian cockades are quite easy to come across.

The 56 ink stamp is the size of the helmet...56 cm. Those Saxon cockades are original and worth almost twice as much as a set of Prussian and Reich ones. Your red/white/black one is the Reich cockade but it is in the Saxon style which has a smooth edge. The Saxon State colours are white/green and always on the left post above the soldiers left ear. The Empire/Reich colour cockade is always above the right ear. Yours are on the wrong sides at the moment but when you buy the right set, the Black/white goes above the left ear. We have a kokarde/cockade section here on the forum and you can see original examples of what you need.
The liner in this helmet is in excellent condition, this is a real bonus as so many are rotted out or torn. The helmet does have an extra set of wappen/helmet plate holes. One set of holes has steel grommets which match the M15 fittings. The empty holes are probably the originals put in by the manufacturer with brass grommets. It is very likely that originally all of the metal fittings on this helmet, were pre war brass, a Model 1895 helmet. During the war, there was a brass shortage and many helmets with brass fittings and grommets were converted to M15 grey steel. As in this case, they even took out the brass grommets, punched new holes and put in steel. I have seen this many times on M15's.
Hans Romer is a well known maker of helmets amongst us collectors. The white stamp could be a "theatrical company" stamp ie. used for stage productions.This is a very nice gift for a son, congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Everyone is amazing! Thanks for the information. It is very much appreciated. I can see how this haubs could become addicting!

Hello everyone....One more question and it maybe a stupid one, but...if the cockades on my helmet do not match the Wappen, is it possible the cockades are right and the Wappen is wrong? I really have no idea about any of this. Thanks.

Hello everyone....One more question and it maybe a stupid one, but...if the cockades on my helmet do not match the Wappen, is it possible the cockades are right and the Wappen is wrong? I really have no idea about any of this. Thanks.
It is quite possible, considering these cockades are saxon you'd need to see if there is more than one set of holes in the helmet behind the wappen. If there is a 2nd set much closer together than the set that the Prussian wappen is sitting in then you'd have a match for a saxon plate.

As mentioned in my last post, there are two sets Will. They both seem to suit a Prussian wappen from what I see.

Reactions: USN
Back