Vimy Weekend - Lineol 21cm Mörser M10/16

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Today is Vimy Weekend here in Canada. 100 years later.

But on with my story.

1966 (?)

I remember when I was about six years old or so, at a department store in Calgary in the toy department was a die-cast metal cannon toy of some sort. Most incredible thing I had ever seen. I remember begging my "parents" for it for Christmas. Nope. :thumbsdown:

Fast forward 50 years to 2016 :thumb up:

Fast forward 50 years......I still didn't have a toy cannon and had never forgotten. So. At a German auction in November a Lineol Model Nr. 822 Mörser Blechspielzeug (tin toy) made in 1939 came up for auction. It was a tin toy of the WW1 German 21cm Mörser M10/16 (howitzer). So I threw a bid on it, never dreaming I would win it. And I won it.

And its wonderful! A perfect Lineol 21cm Mörser M10/16 original. It has no missing parts, near mint condition, almost perfect paint. Its big, at 30cm long. The hand wheels operate the elevation and traverse. It has a spring breech with a lanyard and will actually fire something out the barrel when the breech smacks against it. Attached photos are from the auction house, better than I could take, so here they are. Consider it free advertising for a great auction house.

Morser001.jpg

Morser002.jpg

Morser003.jpg

Morser004.jpg

Morser005.jpg

Morser006.jpg

And of course a casing. Photos and write up HERE

cc10.jpg

And in 2011 while working at the Citadel in Quebec city, I stumbled across an actual Krupp 21cm M16 Mörser with the longer L/14 barrel. Exactly the same as the Lineol Model Nr. 822 Mörser tin toy. What a cool piece to come across. Sadly, outside and rusting away, and missing the shield and the mud paddles from the wheels. It would look much better in my basement. I asked, but they wouldn't let me take it home.

Tony_21cm_Morser_Lange_Citadel.JPG

Lineol made some great models. When I was a kid we had a couple of their guns. If I remember correctly, you cock the piece, remove the breach, on the inside of the breach you place a pellet and on the back a cap. Replace the breach and pull the cord.

Back