Wanted: Württemberg M15 Helmet

ww1czechlegion

Hello,

I'd like to buy this particular Württemberg M15 Helmet that Scott Kraska sold a couple of weeks ago.

I will pay $1,400.00 for it if you want to sell it.

Or, if someone has one equally as nice that they would be willing to sell, I will pay that price.

Thanks,

Alan

Wurttemburg M15 Helmet 2.JPG

Wurttemburg M15 Helmet 1.JPG

Wurttemburg M15 Helmet 3.JPG

Wurttemburg M15 Helmet 4.JPG

Wow, I saw this one and I was gonna buy it...for only $725....It was a heck of a deal.....but I didn't... :(

The M15 Wurtt. is a rare beast in my experience. I was very lucky to find one at the MAX Show years ago. At that time, even my good friend Tony Schnurr who had a large collection even then, did not have one. It took him a few years later to finally add an example to The Kaiser’s Bunker. Mine is also unusual as it has a manufacturers stamp on the inside rear visor: G Leo BIEBERACH. An uberzug had been worn as the marks of the hooks are present on the rear visor.

I tried to buy this one minutes after his update went on and got told somebody beat me....

Way it goes sometimes.

Here is a shot of the one I have had for years, complete with note from soldier where he picked up the helmet etc.

James

I must admit I made myself a big mistake too, as I sold this one a few years ago... ](*,) What a stupid decision....Wearer was from the 12/125 as the name tag said...And now I have tracked the guy in the Württemberg Kriegsstammrollen...He was baker as civilian and moved during the war to a small food supply unit in the Württemberg army ...But as I sold this helmet, the german archives were not online...What a pity....

Philippe
:wink:

Wow all nice nice helmets.

Alan do take a look at some of my M15 wurttemberg. Do drop me an email at [email protected] if you are still looking for one to complete your collection.

Regards

Attachments

• 20190505_224355.jpg
    20190505_224355.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5,855
Wow Amy, I guess now we know why these are rare, you've got them all! :D . Here's some pics of mine, the chin strap is a repro but with original fittings. The M15 grey spike is one of the rare ones which is non removable.
IMG_0488-L.jpg

IMG_0489-L.jpg

IMG_0490-L.jpg

IMG_0491-L.jpg

Unlike the other helmets shown above, mine has a black dyed liner typical of the M95 helmets.

Very nice helmets James, Brian, Philippe, and Amy! Thanks for showing us photos!

That is a rare spike to find Brian, the non-removable type M15!

Sorry to hear that you sold your fine Identified helmet Philippe. We've all done things like that, unfortunately.

I have sent an email to Amy.

I missed my best opportunity at a mint M15 Wurttemburg complete helmet for a mere $250 in a local antique shop back in the late 1980's. It was probably a liberty bond helmet, in perfect condition. I tried to talk them down to $200, and I lost out when I set it down and walked away when they would not go down on the price. My stubbornness caused me to loose out on a very fine helmet. At that time I had no idea how hard a nice one of these would be to find again.

Best Regards,

Alan

Brian, correct me if I am wrong.

The non-removable spike is not unique to my knowledge. In the 70s, there was a load of non-removable spikes being produced in Europe and have been put onto the M15 spikes cos they are missing the removable spikes.

Till dates, I have not found any references to prove that the Germans use any non-removable M15 spikes.

I have come across two non- removable spikes so far, one came from AOK which they are also not able to tell me if the removable spike is original to the era.

Regards

b.loree said:
Wow Amy, I guess now we know why these are rare, you've got them all! :D . Here's some pics of mine, the chin strap is a repro but with original fittings. The M15 grey spike is one of the rare ones which is non removable.

No Brian, I am innocent. I thought you guys didn't want them and left them for me. LOL

Amybellars said:
The non-removable spike is not unique to my knowledge. In the 70s, there was a load of non-removable spikes being produced in Europe and have been put onto the M15 spikes cos they are missing the removable spikes.

Till dates, I have not found any references to prove that the Germans use any non-removable M15 spikes.

I have come across two non- removable spikes so far, one came from AOK which they are also not able to tell me if the removable spike is original to the era.

Amy,

A few 100% authentic early M15 helmets with non removable spikes are existing in a few serious french collections. Following the same kind of rarity, some M15 with all brass parts are existing with a brass removeable spike like the M15 spike. Here is an example of the JR180. All non magnetic parts and no golden paint!!! Truly all brass! A few other examples are known, all Württemberg.

dsc05712.jpg

dsc05611.jpg

dsc05710.jpg

dsc05711.jpg

Philippe

I have seen Prussian examples of M15's with all brass hardware and removable spikes, so it's not just Württemberg.
It seems that most of the time the brass is chemically darkened on these.

John :)

Well that's a relief! Amy had me wondering there for a few moments. :? I have never heard of M15 repro spikes being produced. Additionally, the patina/colour on all my fittings matches up perfectly. :thumb up:

The very first helmet I ever held in my hands was a Prussian brass trim with a M'15 removable spike (this was in the 1950's. F. Bannermann catalog listed non-removable steel spikes for sale in the 1920's (I think they went for 25¢). I had a Baden M'15 with non-removable years ago.

b.loree said:
I have never heard of M15 repro spikes being produced.

Brian, I do....And I saw some of them, but only such removeable. One can see the difference at the inside of the spike, where it is attached to the dome: the circumferencial groove is looking totally different.

Philippe

83.jpg

89.jpg

I have two non-removable spikes in my collection , never doubted them for a second.
It would be a lot easier to mount a spike of a bad shaped parts helmet ,then to make a new one.

Thanks for that last pic Ed, now I know mine is truly original. That fake has a weird shape and reminds me of the Indian made crap we see all over Ebay.

They even have artillery m15 cannon ball in fake as well. I didn't take the pics but so far one ebay seller is selling it as original and it does look original at first few glances. I bought it to see the difference. Sorry no pics

Back