Wappen Device – Saxon Duchies

Steve Nick

I bought this piece many years ago from a C.E.F. badge collector who had no idea what it was. Someone, possibly him, soldered what look to me to be a couple of standard type copper lugs such as you’d see on a C.E.F. cap badge onto the piece.

My research leads me to believe this wappen device would have been intended for an officer’s front plate for the Saxon duchies with the Fuerst bandeau. Infantry Regiment # 95 based on the voided crown and the laurel leaves and berries on both sides of the Saxon shield?

It looks like the original “posts”? that I assume would have been threaded, were removed for some unknown reason.

Regardless, I recognized it as belonging to an Imperial German front plate and bought it for a pretty reasonable price.

Question is. I’d like to have the copper lugs removed but I don’t want to take a chance on melting the silver. (No part of it is magnetic). Probably best left to a jeweler? Is it worth the expense?

Attachments

• DSC_1272 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1272 Re-Sized.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 1,917
  • DSC_1274 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1274 Re-Sized.jpg
    731.2 KB · Views: 1,916
  • DSC_1270 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1270 Re-Sized.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 1,916
In my experience, you can use an electric soldering iron on that to remove those CN badge lugs no problem. However, try not to use too much heat as it will discolour the star. Yes, there would have been screw posts with square nuts and you can see the old solder remains where they once were. I have an OR's 95 and will try and take some pics for you tomorrow. We also have a series of posts on the Saxe Duchy helmets in the Pickelhaube Discussion section here. My local jeweller here in Barrie will not deal with anything lead soldered for fear of contaminating their tools.

b.loree said:
We also have a series of posts on the Saxe Duchy helmets in the Pickelhaube Discussion section here. My local jeweller here in Barrie will not deal with anything lead soldered for fear of contaminating their tools.

Brian:

Part of my "research" was the thread re. Saxon Duchy helmet plates on this forum. That, and Lacrade's book which shows the Laurel and Oak leaf version was how I figured it to be Regt. 95.

So, you would concur on 95th Regt. made for an officers plate?

Interesting comment re. the jewelers and tin/lead solder.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Steve

Yes, JR 95 officer due to voided crown. The eagle crown on the bird would have been voided too. I just checked my OR's 95, both crowns are solid. Good to hear you have the Larcade books, both are excellent references. Check out our wappen section as well, there may be an officer 95 shown there.

As promised the wappen from my JR 95 OR's helmet. This piece has two date stamps 1888, 1893 and the older screw post means of fixation.
IMG_1157.JPG
The neusilber star and shield are attached with soldered prongs.
IMG_1156.JPG
Soldered screw posts
IMG_1155.JPG
Two solid crowns on this JR 95 wappen as is proper.

As Brian said, a soldering stick from Cdn Tire will pop those right off. No problem. Then, use flux and 'solder sucker' metal strip to suck up that residue solder. Very nice Wappen Brian.

Brian:

Thanks for sharing that plate. I've never seen one on offer but then again I didn't spend time at the big US shows. Too many other money-sucking hobbies. I'd love to find the officers version one of these days.

Tony:

OK you'd know. I was just concerned with damaging the piece, not knowing the metallurgical make-up of the silver.

Thanks for responding.

Cheers:

Steve

Back