Wappen help

scottskillin

Hello folks,

Just acquired a small group of cool stuff from the estate of a WWII veteran who had brought these items home. I'll attach images if I can figure that out. I believe the pickelhaube is from the 1860s but I am having difficulties identifying the wappen.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Could be a naturalist / ranger / fire fighter from Zittau Burg maybe once known as a 'Wald'. ?????? Or some other 'Z' Wald, Winkel or so on. One thing for certain, some searching has to be done to ID that wappen!

By the way Scott, welcome to the forum!

:D Ron

scottskillin said:
I kind of thinking the pickelhaube itself is 1860s. What does everyone else think?

Couldn't really say. It's not a standard military shell. The visors look overley large and the band running around the base of the dome, which covers the stitching on the visor tops, looks less German than some other county like Czechoslovakia or similar. One thing seems fairly certain, it never had a spike fitted with that style of top on it.

:D Ron

Hi Guys,

I saw a similar helmet in person with a different frontplate 25 to 30 years ago.

Same knobs on the side of the front visor, same black-red-white kokade on the center of the band above the visor, and no spike on it, only the cross-base. Only difference was that it had a different frontplate on the helmet.

I was told back then that it was a forestry helmet. Don't know if that was/is correct or not.

Best Regards,

Alan

The same helmet exactly, with no spike and the small cockade on the front, can be seen in the C.E. Junker catalogue (circa 1932) on the page depicting fireman helmets. It is shown with and without a neckguard (Figs 7 and 11). There is, however, no front plate on the Junker helmet.
Bruno

Back