We Knead More Dough, Boys!

Lost Skeleton

For those who speak English as a second language, the wordplay above is a perfect example of why "anglophonics" can be so difficult to master.

In remembrance of the ninetieth anniversary of the Battle of Cantigny, I had hoped to post something acknowledging the initial engagement of the U.S. 1st Division and the part it played in wresting the initiative from the German Ludendorff Offensive.

Unfortunately, I have nothing representing the "Big Red One."

What I can share is an aide-mémoire of the role played by the AEF, after the armistice, in Siberia (the first "Cold War").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_Expedition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Expeditionary_Force_Siberia

This private purchase M1917 Coat of an Ordnance Master features the 2nd type Siberian patch. The four overseas stripes on the left cuff indicate twenty-four months service "Over There."

P1010932.jpg

P1010934.jpg

P1010936.jpg

Chas.

An outstanding tunic!!! I cant believe the service chevrons. Its ultra rare to find a real Siberian expedition tunic, but one with four stripes is unobtainable. Thank you a ton for showing such a rare tunic. I only with items like this were more appreciated :)

I agree nice to see the siberian uniform , I have seen a couple of the Candian CSEF tunic's but they are very rare . Very Nice Thanks
Mark

Chas,

I have one of those!

This a great grouping from a soldier who served in the 27th Infantry Regt (Wolfhounds). Tunic, overseas cap, VFW cap, newspapers, letters to/from home, and a WW1 Victory Medal with clasp 'SIBERIA'.

I find the intervention period to be a fascinating, if little known (in the west) episode in history. Most westerners have forgotten or never knew about it, but the Russians certainly didn't forget that 16 or 17? countries sent troops to Russia in 1918-1922.

Mike

V41565-1.jpg

V41565-3.jpg

V41565-2.jpg

V41565-12.jpg

V41565-4.jpg

V41565-6.jpg

That tunic must be one heck of a rarity! Here a piece from the other side.. I have been trying to ID this budenovka, which appears to be an early cavalry type. It bears the hammer & plough that was used between 1918 and 1922. I lack reliable sources, can anyone correct or confirm (or maby recommend a site for topics related to Russian/Soviet militaria)? It is hard to find information about the early headgear of the red army, all pictures I found show the later style used well after 1922.

budenovka_vorne2_s.jpg

budenovka_vorne1_s.jpg

stern1_s.jpg

You are right! Budenovka with blue star is cavalry piece. And original is very hard to find even in Russia!! :)

I am stil trying to find out about the budenovka. On the Great War forum, a member thought it is a repro but could not provide any details. Are you aware of any specialized forums, or an original reference piece from the pre-1922 period?

It seems that almost anything is being faked nowadays, after all that´s not an expensive piece such as a spiked helmet.

stern_nah_3_s.jpg

spitze1_s.jpg

innen1_s.jpg

Sorry but I dont know special sites about it. :cool:
I know a little history about this headdress, and can to show some sites (forums) adress about russian history and military. But all of them are in russian language. :)

Robert,

You might try Dave (his forum name) at the US Militaria forum. He was a big collector of Russian Revolution items until about five years ago. He knew quite a bit about these items.

Thanks for the links! Actually I am sure in the meanwhile that the peace is a repro that has been artificially aged. Too bad it is not a bit larger then at least I could wear it on winter tours. :D

Back