Weapons

ottodog8

As some of you know, my main interest is weapons and I consider headgear to be accessories (blasphemy!). So here are some weapons:
1914 Mauser
IMG_8332.jpg

Great stuff, but I doubt that you can show anything that can top the Rheno collection.
Gus
PS I realize that I am probably wrong, and I am looking forward to you proving it.

Ottodog ; Maybe you could peruse this link ;

http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/viewtopic.php?t=188&start=25

and possibly help me in my search for specifi regimental marked pokers to mate with some of my regimental marked gew88 & 98 's ?.
I love the Tuf gewehr. Have been after a decent example myself , but as the prices have gone lunar and examples encountered have declined in quality it almost looks hopeless these days. I personally never cared much about the pistols - have had a couple WW1 P08's , a circa 1917 broomie , a couple imperial 7,65's but I long ago swapped them towards rifles... love those long german smokepoles !.
Would you happen to be famililar with any imperial bent collector's in connecticuit by chance - one in particular nicknamed "cookie" ?. Bill.

Bill,
Interesting link, you have some pretty rare pieces. I'm a big fan of the Gewehr 98. In fact the one shown (a matching 1916 Sauer) is to me, the scarcest rifle I own just because of its condition. I have always found them tough to find matching and in any kind of condition. I still have the first one I bought, way back in 1973, a matching Spandau 1904 for the grand sum of $55. It's marked to the 104 Landwehr Regiment, and the long S98 bayonet shown matches it (though not the company).
I don't have any other bayonets, and none of the others are regimentally marked. I wil keep my eyes peeled though, as I find the markings fascinating. It's as close as a gun can come to talking. I once owned a First Issue PO8 marked to the Machine Gun Company of the 3rd Foot Guards. The regiment fought in Belleau Wood and the Argonne. What a thrill to hold that piece of history in my hot little hands!
I don't know any other Imperial collectors locally. I know it sounds weird, but living on the Island is fairly isolating. I make a few of the New England shows, but these days they are so poor it's barely worth the effort. Believe it or not, some of my best pieces came from right here. A lot of local guys "went across" (that's how the old doughboys I spoke to used to put it). Also, a lot of people have moved here to retire and have brought some pretty interesting things with them. I have a beautiful grouping from a WW2 vet (505 PIR, 82 Airborne) to include his folding stock carbine, M42 Jump Suit, boots, Ike jacket, German souveniers, etc. Small town life can have its advantages!
Steve
PS Why don't you post your pics here as well?

Steve ; Thanks for the reply. As for picture posting - this site looks like you need remote hosting.If that's the situation I am out of the loop as it literally is not one of the things I have bothered to learn with the whole net thingy.
I too find the thrill of such old peices with unit markings that give a "taste" of history by such stampings. One of the first gew88's I got years ago is an 1896 Danzig , complete matched but bolt head that is unit marked to the 45th Inf Regt - which fought at Tannenberg. My bet is that rifle was there making history as so many great war Ost front formations relied so heavily on the gew88. Now if I found a proper poker for it to the 45th I think I'd be in heaven !. Gunshows across the board are suffering due to "sticker shock" pricing , the amount of fraud and those purveying it , and in general dealers (pimps) that act as though their items are a virgin hussy only to be had at big dollars.
Anyhow I digress. I have a 1900 Danzig matched to the rod marked to the 120th Wurttemberg Inf regt I got at a yardsale in southern ohio about 8 years ago for $110. It even had a supple sling on it. Being I grew up in the Peoples Republik of New Jerkey , I can well relate to many old veterans and many awesome souvenirs that turned up - many given to me as a young wipper snapper so enthralled by those old war implements , as it pleased those old fellows alot to watch me cherish them. Even in Podunk Nowhere Knetucky I have had luck - a small farmer fellow I know brought me a very nice bnz 45 Volkskarabiner.It's only blemish being that the butt had been cut level and a rubber bubba pad added. He asked the princely sum of $100. I gave him $500 and we were both damn happy.Funny thing was he had had that rifle for nearly 25 years and shot it every now and then and never thought to question the weird sight arrangement and it's overall crude manufacture.
Regards,Bill.

Otto, some very nice stuff. If you are interested, I will exchange unit marked info with you. I have several pieces from P08s and 98s to bayos and sabres.

Being a commercial pistol, this DWM 1906 American Eagle probably doesn't belong here, but had the caliber been .45 ACP rather than 7.65mm, my fortune would have been made.

I saw an authentic Rock Island Arsenal 1900 U.S. Army Test holster at the SOS priced at $1,500.00.

Chas.

P1010770.jpg

P1010772.jpg

P1010774.jpg

Chas, an original Rock Island Test Luger holster is a super rare item. At $1500 there's alot of profit still to be had.

Back