What did BAIV have to do with this helmet?

joerookery

http://cgi.ebay.com/Felt-NCO-Pickelhaube-Spike-Helmet-Huge-Size-Saxe-Coburg_W0QQitemZ6580250152QQcategoryZ13965QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How does one tie this to Saxe-Coberg exclusively?

Hi Joe. Aint it because of the Laurel wreath being all Laurel all round. How come BA IV.though? I thought it would be BA XI for Saxe - Coburg. JR 72 I think is "Thuringen" of sorts and would fit with BA IV but I thought they wore the straight Prussian plate sans star. Mind you I'm a lightweight here :(

Oops and right you are. However, I thought that the 153rd was an Altenberg outfit.... [note the clever way he shifts a discussion to cover up his obvious error] don't try this at home!

Mike

Actually, the only other crest identical to JR 153 is 6. Thuringisches Inf.-Regt. Nr. 95, which was part of the XI.AK.

Dave

So what does that crest look like - bird and star? I'm really amazed on this one cos I thought it was just the" 90's " type regiments if you know what I mean. Gulp!

Mike, Go to this web site: http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pt/

Click on "Helmet Wappen Plate 1" at the bottom of the page for a high-res scan from Das Deutsches Heer. T

Thanks Tony and Dave. This is great stuff. I dunno why I thought only the 94 - 96 Rgts. wore the Saxe Coburg, Weimar, Reuss etc. star exclusively. Maybe the books I have always mention those regiments when an illustration appears and not R153 etc. This site is really firing up again!

I'll take a look Tony - cheers!

And Dave, that plate is stunning! Do you really need it that bad :wink:

Wow! What a beautiful frosted officer's Wappen! Big$
and here is the center wappen from my damaged crappy 94th helmet that looks like the owner picked out of a garbage can and salvaged. Not nearly as nice as Dave's, but it is private purchase and you can compare the difference between a 94th and 95th wappen. Small dollars. I remember the guy bought it from said... "hum sick of people saying that the damage it does not detract... this detracts."
wappens.jpg

Joe - I remember this helmet and I like it a lot for some reason - the damage is old original damage aint it?- Lots of repair work on the back of that plate I seem to remember - but this helmet has a lot of character imho. Cool regiment.

Crappy! No way.

Joe

Thanks for posting your JR94 showing the difference between the two plates. If you look closely, the JR95/153 wappen has the same smooth leaves on either side of the crest while the JR94 wappen has smooth leaves on the left side and oak leaves on the right side of the crest. Talk about a nuaince!!!.....

Dave

Yes I love this helmet, and I do not think I will ever part with it. There is a lot of damage on the back with period repairs. This photograph is interesting though. Two different kinds of helmets to include the rare leather visored filzhelme. There is no center wappen on this helmet picture. So at some point in time, this outfit gave up that state specification. There is no date on the front than nothing at all in the back.
95thhats1.jpg
95thhats3.jpg
95thhats2.jpg

Back