What do I have here ?

Ok, its confession time ! The attached helmet was my first uninformed purchase from E-Bay from an infamous e-bayer from Scotland that was familiar to the old forum......I know, I know ! :(

The question is what is it ? The closest I have been able to see in References are the Upeer Beamte examples c page 466 of Stubbs; see the double holes in the front of the wappen for a missing piece ? The trichter is a repro piece but the remainder looks original. The body appears to be pressed pressed and lacquered felt or even perhaps papier-mache.

Thoughts ?

Sorry for the poor photos; when it gets brighter out here I wll try some outdoor pictures.

Ian.

109782300_64c9885a0c.jpg

109782298_1685692505.jpg
(alt+p)
109782297_1b84be04e5.jpg
(alt+p)

Hello Ian, I think 'Uber-Beamte' is right but the Eagle does have the motto which I think should be cancelled out by the Beamtenadler? So.....not too sure on that detail. Does it have gold stars?
Did this come from 'Dubai'?

Silver stars not gold....so a bit of a puzzle!

Yep it came from Dubai although under one of her her former alias's :cry:

Purchased it before I found this forum; I hope I've learned a lot since, although mostly in lurk mode as I still feel very much the amateur here. I guess we all make at least one mistake...if not more!

Supplementary question: the originalspike has lost most of its silver wash. Is it possible to get these finishes restored ? What is the technical term for such a light siver wash ? If possible I will take it down to the Silver "hans" in Istanbul to get refreshed....but I don't want to over-restore it.

Ian.

"Lurk mode" - I like it! Thats how some people spend their whole life!

Welcome back Joe. How was the trip? I heard Budweiser shares went up?

Back