What formation do these Regts. belong to?

Wyliecoyote

I have a photo of Kronprinz Willi in Hussar uniform decorating men in the field. Of the men being decorated, the shoulder straps are 82 & 83. On the helmet cover of one man an 8 is plain to see. The 82 I.R. (2. Kurhessisches, Göttingen) & the 83 I.R. (Regt. von Wittich 3.Kurhessisches Cassel / Arolsen) both belonged to the XI Armee Korps. In the background is an officer with a 79 I.R. (von Voigts-Rhetz 3.Hannoversches Hildesheim) was of the X Armee Korps. With the presence of barrel cuffs (Model 1910 vereinfacte) on two feldrocks, this photo can't be earlier than 1915.

I have three questions:

What Division or formation is this?

Where were they in 1915?

What command Did Crown Prince Wilhelm hold?

Thanks!
I have a photo of Kronprinz Willi in Hussar unifirm decorating men in the field. Of the men being decorated, the shoulder straps are 82 & 83. On the helmet cover of one man an 8 is plain to see. The 82 I.R. (2. Kurhessisches, Göttingen) & the 83 I.R. (Regt. von Wittich 3.Kurhessisches Cassel / Arolsen) both belonged to the XI Armee Korps. In the background is an officer with a 79 I.R. (von Voigts-Rhetz 3.Hannoversches Hildesheim) was of the X Armee Korps. With the presence of barrel cuffs (Model 1910 vereinfacte) on two feldrocks, this photo can't be earlier than 1915.

I have three questions, what Division or formation is this? Where were they in 1915? What command Did Crown Prince Wilhelm hold?

Thanks!

[/

Wyliecoyote said:
//Of the men being decorated, the shoulder straps are 82 & 83. //

Like so?

fgt01a.jpg

fgt01.jpg

I see the confusion! I don't have any really clear answers but the crown prince was a Western front guy in the fifth Army and then in his own Army group. The confusion comes from the 22nd division -- while there are a lot of pictures of the crown prince giving cigarettes and medals to various units one would assume that those units belonged to him. 22nd infantry division was in III Army. They left the west front quickly in 1914. Their return was not until late in 1917. I have read a first-person account where units were retrofitted with headgear for parades in some cases -- maybe this one?

I would not get concerned about the officer in the background as he could easily be on the staff of the crown prince. The existence of numbers on the Uberzug is also confusing. Maybe the crown prince visited the Eastern front?

The 82 & 83 Regts. make sense, they belonged to the same Infantrie Brigade. Since they were transfered to the Ostfront in 1914, this should be there.

Back