What is it?

ottodog8

Found this for sale. Real? I recall reading somewhere about controversy regarding the plate. And what is an infantry plate doing on a shako? Steve
WWI%20German%20Shako%204-4.JPG

Ah the old R22 plate. Does not belong on a shako no how no way. IF and I stress IF this particular wappen is good there is much cotroversy in my mind.

Several sources allude to filzhelme being used on the Serbian front. These allegedly had removable spikes and numbers on a scroll instead of a normal wappen. Trichters were never used and cockades were not there. There are supposedly shields for mountain machine-gun Abteilung 211 -- 250. There are also references to an R 116 scroll and an R 22 scroll. The author has a picture of two IR31 soldiers wearing these helmets. These helmets were supposedly not used with a bayonet spike attached and some had a Foreign Legion type neck guard. I have no problem with the existence of these helmets.[xvii] However, there does seem to be a problem with their use on the Serbian front. I do not understand how IR22 or IR31was supposed to be in Serbia . Nor reserve Regiment number 22. There is one source that talks about these number plates going to reserve infantry regiments and Ersatz infantry regiments. Unfortunately there is a lot of talk about reproductions and these helmets. Recently there was one that was listed in the Kube auction. So I do not think that they're all reproductions.
51sthead1.jpg

Back