What is that Picklehaube ?

meme32

Dear members,

I came across that Pickelhaube when visiting a friend.
He has no clues what kind of helmet it is and I must say I also have no idea....
Is that a kind of firemen or police Pickelhaube ? or only some put together parts ?

Many thanks

Kind regards

IMG_8965.jpgIMG_8966.jpgIMG_8967.jpgIMG_8968.jpgIMG_8969.jpg

Agree with James. The coat of arms was approved at the 71st Provincial parliamentary session in March 1926, so I think the helmet is from 1926 to 1935. After 1933, the Nazis reformed fire helmets and wanted them to disappear because of their emotional connection to the former German Empire and Monarchies.

I would have lost money on that one, would have bet it was police. I always associate Fireman helmets with the steel comb instead of a spike. I certainly learned something today. (y)

I would have lost money on that one, would have bet it was police. I always associate Fireman helmets with the steel comb instead of a spike. I certainly learned something today. (y)
great topic, both fireman's and police helmets can come with spike tops and even ball top like artillery. Then also, comb top for Fireman's as well.

James

great topic, both fireman's and police helmets can come with spike tops and even ball top like artillery. Then also, comb top for Fireman's as well.

James

I'd like to see if anyone has made a hobby from collecting non military Pickelhauben.

Looking closely at the underside of this one, it seems like certain pieces were added.

I use to collect both police and Fireman's helmets along with the military ones, but had to narrow the focus to military, so sold all my other ones. There is a great set of 3 books in German on both these types of helmets by Erich Radecke that can be found on Ebay Germany pretty easy. Paperback books that are inexpensive. There is a following for collecting just Fireman's and Police helmets just like the military ones.

James

I'd like to see if anyone has made a hobby from collecting non military Pickelhauben.

Looking closely at the underside of this one, it seems like certain pieces were added.

Yes, James is right, there are other collectors who collect non military Pickelhaubes, Fireman, and Civil Service. There are actually a large number of collectors who collect the various fireman helmets with the different town specific emblems on the front. Ones that look like this helmet with the spike on them, and the type with the comb on the top of them. I saw this when I lived in the Czech Republic. They're very popular in Europe, probably more so than in the U.S. with collectors, but they're still collected here in the States.

I see missing washers that likely were lost to "time" over the years. My eyes don't see any specific pieces that were added. Only that the large aluminum support disk and the screw threads were likely taken apart and re-assembled over the years, which is quite common to see, and thus the washers were lost for the threaded screw posts with the spike base.

As a side note, James may still have the beautiful condition Rhineland Fireman Officer helmet for sale that he offered up a while back. It's in gorgeous condition, a real beauty.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Last edited:

I agree that what you show is a nice Feuerwehr Pickelhaube. I collect Polizei spike helmets and some are shown on this thread.

I collect Polizei spike helmets and some are shown on this thread.

Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed viewing your fine collection. (y)

In my 4 decades of collecting, I have found the Rhineland fire helmets to be the most common here in North America.

In my 4 decades of collecting, I have found the Rhineland fire helmets to be the most common here in North America.

I was offered these a few months back and tried to help the seller out by forwarding the pictures to a good friend who is a retired fire fighter. Sadly he wasn't interested. I thought that they were pretty cool I think a mix of German and Austrian Fire helms.

Resized_20221112_101223(1).jpeg
Resized_20221112_101230(1).jpegResized_20221112_101236(1).jpegResized_20221112_101243(1).jpeg

Last edited:
Another statement of German tradition. I wonder, did they actually wear these helmets to fires, or were they simply for pardes?

Back