What type of Mutze?

Wyliecoyote

I am wondering if any one can identify this type of headgear for me. It is of a pioneer NCO in 1914. I have seen this type of hat worn by Ostasia Seebatallion troops in China, as well as Landsturm troops wearing this type hat. I just don't know the proper designation of this hat w/ chin strap.

Thanks, Geo

Ofcoarse as soon as I posted this, I remembered the Cloth Headgear guide on Kaiser's Bunker.

T,

Is this fellow wearing a M1908 Dienstmutze with schirm? How could I have forgotten such an excellant update to your site!

Geo

Wyliecoyote said:
// Is this fellow wearing a M1908 Dienstmutze with schirm? //

Yes he is George. Tough to find a photo of these in use. I have only ever seen two examples of this cap for sale and I missed them both.

And yes I would kill for one......... :-x

Thanks T

Here is my favorite photo of a M1908 Dienstmutze mit schirm, not dated, but a Landsturm man with normal Landes kokorde, but an unusual arrangement of the Reich kokorde mounted over a Landwehr Cross. Also appears to have a feldgrau visor like an M1915 schirmutze. Or could this be an OR's einheits schirmutze?

Lost Skeleton said:
...like the British SD caps.
Does not exist. The first time a cloth-covered visor was used, was for early SS Schirmmutzen, in the 30s I believe. All Imperial visors are laquered fiber or cardboard. T

Klar! :read2:

However, I know of one amazing exception, unoffcial of course, but I don't want to hijack George's thread.

I'll post it in General Headgear later today.

Chas.

Okay George, you twisted my arm. When the Seeteufel, Felix, Graf von Luckner escaped from the New Zealand internment camp on Motuihe Island in December 1918, by some accounts he did so in the stolen uniform of the commandant, Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Harcourt Turner.

After recapture, von Luckner posed for this photograph. The New Zealand officer's khaki Service Dress cap with its high stiffened crown, thin leather chinstrap, and cloth covered visor is unmistakable. Even more interesting, von Luckner decided to accessorize Turner's cap with his own Kaiserliche Marine capband and insignia.

As I said, unofficial.

Chas.

Von-Luckner.jpg

Kaiserliche-Marine, cool. But Army, no. remind me Chas, does your rare Feldgrau Kaiserliche-Marine Schirmmütze have the normal laquered Schirm?

Back