What unit?

joerookery

Can we tell what unit or units these guys are from? I hope they are from the same unit but there is nothing on the back. Can equipment/uniform help? The shoulderboards have no number or marks on them.
2baden.jpg

2baden_1.jpg

the cuff colours are different colours the baden on left is black or Drl blue right is likely red

Mark I looked at that earlier and could not decide. The uniform buttons are different. Does that always matter? This is surely a case of I WANT them to be the same but.... maybe I can force them into a box if I get a bigger hammer. :violent1:

Hey Joe,
The cuffs are different as are the buttons, but for a war time photo in Dunkelblau, I would venture to say that these differences would not matter as much as if the phot was pre war.
Gus

Hi Joe,
I thought I should mention why I believe this to be a war time photo, I would agree with George that these would be Landwehr or Landsturm due to the weapons, probably guarrding a POW camp or even a cross road or bridge. The ammo pouches they wear are M1909 pattern, so we know that the photo post dates 1909, but if you look close, you can see that they are blackened, and I think the order to blacken leather was around 15. Sept of 1915, also, the left pouch on the fellow on the right apears to be ersatz. Looking at the Pickelhauben, the Baden looks to me to be duller on the furniture, so could it be a M1915?
Gus

Maybe they are reservist's bbeing called up afte Sept 1914 ? The weapons issue sometimes throws off the dating as studios often had there own wepon's ,to help a walk in soldier look more soldierly .
The Webbing seems to be all mismatched .My 2 more cents.
Mark G

Back