Where to start.

It also depends on the financial aspect. Do I buy a Braunschweig officer helmet or do I start with the line infantry. I like the cavalry, the infantry or the transport troops.
As others say: look for good quality. This will be easier to sell later if rarer and more expensive pieces are purchased. If you go through your collection later and aren't happy with certain items, it's a waste of money. Joy increases the desire to collect. But that's just my opinion.

Fully agree with that!
I only collect Pickelhaubes that are related to my family's military history, so for me regimental association is more important than quality. Having said that, if you are not sure which direction you want to go then collect quality, as that will always remain tradable, while any premium paid for a regimental marking (I'm talking standard Prussian Pickelhaube here with the standard eagle, not one of the "fancy" ones with rare plates, with those the regimental marking will create extra value as it confirms authenticity) will probably be lost when you trade / sell it.
The big advantage of Ebay is the price, generally significantly lower than with dealers, however my experience is limited to enlisted men standard Prussian helmets. The big disadvantage of Ebay is that there is generally no guarantee :).
As mentioned by Brian, an M15 standard Prussian helmet would be a good start, still relatively cheap, and having a helmet in hand to study all the details and the feel really helps with subsequent purchases.
Enjoy!
Thank you.

The best internet source on pickelhauben and the other German helmets is Kaiser’s Bunker. Great photos and descriptions of all the different helmets. You should also go to any militaria shows in your area and look at as many helmets as you can.

The best internet source on pickelhauben and the other German helmets is Kaiser’s Bunker. Great photos and descriptions of all the different helmets. You should also go to any militaria shows in your area and look at as many helmets as you can.
I had, funny enough. It's mostly stuff from the 50s and onward, not a lot of old german things around. Only flecktarn jackets from the bundeswehr.

Interestingly I first started with medals. A very normal 1914 EK2 without mark was the first item in my collection. It's surprising to see how one's interest expand from something very small to bigger things. However, before I collect my first helmet and tunic, I buy books. I'd say one quality reference book is a good start, which kept myself away from many detours.

Everyone needs an Iron Cross, everyone….

My advice, if wanted, would be to “try” focusing on a specific area as other suggested. I bounced around too much over the last 45 years but I learned a lot.

And books are ideal, I started searching for books and photos when i was a child. There’re a lot of really good books out there now days.

Back