Why dressed in dress?

hamtaro

Hi guys,

I hope I post this question in the correct thread.

I noticed that all the sovereign of the 19th and early 20th century, including the Kaiser and Tsar Nicholas II were always dressed as girls when they were very young.

Is there any reason for doing that? And did the commoners did that, too? I mean, well, boys dressed as girls were the norm? :wink:

Cheers,
Bambang

Hi Bambang,
That was very common in all classes, a "dress" was less expensive to make and easer to deal with the diapers on infants. It was not until men rode horses that trousers became common on adults. So I was not a gender thing, just a continuation of an old style of dress.
Best wihses
Gus
PS You can dress little Bambang in trousers now, as the custom is mostly lost.

Gustaf said:
It was not until men rode horses that trousers became common on adults.

Gus,

Tell William (Brave Heart) Wallace that. He liked to ride with a kilt. Something about the combination of the vibration and the breeze. Giddayup!

Chip

Hey Chip, I have found that guys that wear kilts are usually a tough lot, never, but never call a kilt a skirt.
Gus

Hello all: My brother in Scotland has a studio foto of my father wearing a dress when he was a toddler in 1918. The Victorians used to dress all the children in dresses (why? I don't know) and occasionally a Sailor outfit. Victorian era was an oddball time with bizarre fashions etc. Thanks.
Bill - 'Snowing in Maryland today'

Back