Wilhelm Köhler. Militär-Effekten Uniform-Geschäft.

drakegoodman

Nothing on the reverse of this one.

Best viewed in the original size.

4201921456_ccda057fe8_b.jpg

This is sweet--no ultra sweet! Did you buy this one recently? Finding good pictures of middle-class stores is hard but this one is just incredible. house is so cool -- one half of it is for the military store and the other half is for ladies hairdresser with the door in the middle leading upstairs to the living quarters!

This store does not appear to be a producer of pickles but rather a retailer who sold a wide inventory similar to Mueller and his catalog and our first book.
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=38699

Can you tell what city/town this is?

Joe, it arrived from Germany yesterday. I was suitably impressed when I saw how clear it was and I was able to discern the characters on the postcards behind glass. Remarkable stuff.

Unfortunately the Nordhausen postcard purveyor :)D) was unable to say which town the Militär Effekten store was located, or provide any further information about the photo for that matter.

On a side issue, do you have copies of Neumann & Müller at home (ebay)? I'd like to order a copy.

Cheers,

- Brett

Yes I still think we have one or two around. You can still order them from the publisher but I would imagine the postage might be prohibitive. I think we can do it for $15 let me know what the publisher wants as that might be a better deal. This is real postcard envy.

Joe, AuthorHouse want to slug me USD $65.22 all up (World Wide standard post). Can you please let me know your charges.

I'm trying to negotiate a deal with the wife about letting me order the Kraus books sometime soon as well. Now the cost of getting those from Austria to Australia IS cost prohibitive.

- Brett

Brett,

We can do it for 40. It should come in the same international priority mail that your last duckboard did. I actually think there are two left. Send me your address again and I will mail this out but it probably will be after Christmas. Family priorities... God bless us all!

By the way, James and I discussed the Kraus books and I am not so sure how different the two volume set is. I don't have access to the old set by James had the impression that there was really no change just a reprint. Now the photo volume you would really love. My major complaint again is that this damn thing is so heavy it is very hard to work with. They should have made this at least two volumes. I understand the printing and mounting costs but these weren't cheap in the first place.

Perfect, thanks Joe. I'll PM you my mailing address and you can give me your Paypal details (if that suits). After Christmas will be fine - I'm working every day through Christmas and New Years, so I wouldn't have time to sit down and enjoy it anyway.

Thanks for the 'heads up' about the Kraus books. I used to import large format military history books from Schiffer, Fedorowicz and Bender into Australia (in another life) so I know what a nightmare these larger tomes can be.

I think the Somers' books have the right formula, and I imported all those relatively cheaply from Amazon (no duckboards).

If I don't speak to you before the 25th, Merry Christmas to you and yours! Warm regards, Brett

Fantastik foto, I have never seen anything like this wow, what a score!! Any idea of what is for sale in the window?? All the best and Merry Xmas to all, Brian

I Think that things hanging vertically are belts?!?!

By the way I did not see anything in the 10 Commandments that said "thou shalt not covet thine neighbor's postcard."

He is also in the business with cigars, cigarettes and postcards (note the sign, wedding cards, condolence cards etc.). On the bottom left of the window there seem to be two pipes. The bowed belt up front might be a honing belt for sharpening razors.

A mixed assortment for a man of the world. :cool:

b.loree said:
Fantastik foto, I have never seen anything like this wow, what a score!! Any idea of what is for sale in the window?? All the best and Merry Xmas to all, Brian

Thanks Brian. There's certainly a lot to scrutinise in that window. Schirmmützen, a Krätzchen or two, belts, Einheitshalsbinden, postcards aplenty and a whole lot of other as yet unidentified kit. But wait - there's more ... :wink:

Merry Christmas everyone. Have a safe one.

Brett

Back