Wolseley Pattern Helmet

Peter_Suciu

I picked this up recently too. This is an early Wolseley Pattern Foreign Service Helmet. It was made in Nairobi, and based on the leather around the rim of the helmet, and the red silk lining is probably an officer private purchase helmet. I wish I knew where it might have been used.

british_wolseley1_big1.jpg

british_wolseley1_big2.jpg

british_wolseley1_big3.jpg

I like this one very much also Peter. You obviously have excellent taste! I really find the Nairobi maker intriguing. Is there any explanation as to how a pith helmet would be manufactured there? I would think that any Brit officer would buy his kit before leaving England. I could see a potential tourist market or sell to the locals but military? Was there some sort of local militia unit system in this part of the Empire? Brian

Interesting question Brian. I'm assuming that helmets, like everything else, wear out. At some point you need to replace it.

The British Foreign Service, or Pith Helmet, actually was first produced in India shortly before the Mutiny. Stuart Bates and I wrote an article for Military Trader magazine, and we found that some of the earliest helmets were used by the East India Company and the British Army. Eventually these were officially adopted, and then produced in England.

I'll add that many sources state that the American helmets were made in England, but my research says that this isn't the case either.

Ok just came into possession of 4 lovely Wolseleys. The first one was described as belonging to the 14th Hussars and has a faint maker's stamp to the interior. I can't make out the name but there is a date of 1925.

Now according to the 1934 DRs the 14th/20th Hussars had a white plume and the 8th Hussars had a white over red. These DRs specify "no badges, plumes, hackles etc" for khaki helmets with a few noted exceptions. However, I have an illustration of a trooper of the 1st KDGs with a red hackle in his helmet's puggaree. Can anybody add to this?

Oh, a really interesting feature of this helmet is that the leather chinstrap goes over the top of the helmet and under the puggaree thence into the interior. It does have internal hooks!

Stuart
8thHussars.jpg

Next one is to the Essex regiment, nicknamed the Purple Pompadours. It has a name written to the interior of J Hichings or Wichings, 6010194, H.Q.Wing. I will have to research this.

It is quite the largest Wolseley I have ever seen.

Stuart
Essex.jpg

Next one is to the Middlesex Regiment and has the flash with a regimental badge. It was made by Percy Ayers & Co of London and has the ink name Gell D. Coy 6193753 inside. More research.

Stuart
Middlesex.jpg

Ok last one of this lot to the Sherwood Foresters. It has two dates to the interior 1932 and 1939. It also has the names of presumably all of the stations where the owner served eg. Dehli, Bombay, Karachi, Berber, Khartoum, Sudan, Atbara and more.

Stuart
1930sSherwoodForesters.jpg

Here is one of my other Wolseleys which I might as well add here. It is named to Lt H.A.C. Stallan of the Royal Corps of Signals. He was commissioned in 1926.

Stuart
WolseleySideview.jpg

My only example; as I only wanted one example. Model 1902 Wolseley pattern sun helmet worn by Driver Ethert Clair Lutes Royal Canadian Horse Artillery. He joined the CEF in Moncton New Brunswick in April 1916, served in France with the 65th Battery Canadian Field Artillery R.C.H.A. and was discharged as wounded in Dec 1918.

cefch18.jpg

The interior is double maker stamped "William Scully Montreal 1916" and 335829 E.C.L.

cefch18c.jpg

these really get that extra good look with the Regimental Puggaree or flash.
What colour is the liner under the rim of the CEF one you have Tony?
Mark

That is a clean looking underside. Nice piece , look's like a service number. Do you have the CEF Numbers book , as it can help trace anumber to where the Soldier came from in Canada.
Mark

Back