WTB: Complete GM-15 and other German Gas Masks

Galacnor1

Hey guys,

I got locked out of my old account and keep hitting a 404 error when I try to recover my password...oh well! Heres my new account!

I sold off my WW1 German gas masks a while ago and am trying to rebuild my collection.

I've had decent luck with getting a displayable GM-17; but, a new GM-15 in acceptable condition has been less forthcoming.

Is anyone in the know about a GM-15/Gummimaske for sale?

Must be in a "Complete" condition with the carry canister, both straps on the can, instruction card in the bottom, etc; but, willing to pay "complete" price for a complete mask!

Bonus points if anyone can turn up a GM-17 for me to buy that can "outrank" my current one on display! Same criteria-complete condition! My current 17 displays well and is a complete named example; but, has two original stress cracks in the lid that I'm not thrilled about. [-(

Also buying interwar Reichswar GM-17 and GM-18 conversions (the ones in the taller cans with the exhale valves) and certain WW2 German masks.

Thanks all
Alex

SkipperJohn said:
Here's a GM17:

https://www.treasure-hunt.nl/product/2040944/m17-gasmasker-compleet

John :)

Howdy John,

Happy 4th of July to you, wherever you are! :guns:

Thanks for the lead on the GM-17. I have to admit, its a rather nice example; but, the strap damage is a little detracting at that pricepoint, even if its period!

Tough call on that one, I'd say 475 is at the high end of fair market on that one, even in todays market. Maybe I could talk a little off the top, though.

Am I wrong to assume that "AGFA" stamp is the same "AGFA" that produced photo processing chemicals and paper?

Cheers, John.

Alex

Galacnor1 said:
SkipperJohn said:
Here's a GM17:

Howdy John,

Thanks for the lead on the GM-17. I have to admit, its a rather nice example; but, the strap damage is a little detracting at that pricepoint, even if its period!

Tough call on that one, I'd say 475 is at the high end of fair market on that one, even in todays market. Maybe I could talk a little off the top, though.

Am I wrong to assume that "AGFA" stamp is the same "AGFA" that produced photo processing chemicals and paper?

Cheers, John.

Alex

Alex,
I saw this gas mask a while back and remembered it when I saw your post in the forum.
I don't know what "AGFA" is, but I assumed that it was the same company that made X-ray plates and film.
The AGFA trade mark was established for that firm in 1897 and I doubt that another company would have been allowed to use it.
In 1925 AGFA became part of IG Farben.

That's the best guess I can offer.

Happy 4th to you as well! :salute:

SkipperJohn said:
Galacnor1 said:
SkipperJohn said:
Here's a GM17:

Howdy John,

Cheers, John.

Alex

Alex,
I saw this gas mask a while back and remembered it when I saw your post in the forum.
I don't know what "AGFA" is, but I assumed that it was the same company that made X-ray plates and film.
The AGFA trade mark was established for that firm in 1897 and I doubt that another company would have been allowed to use it.
In 1925 AGFA became part of IG Farben.

That's the best guess I can offer.

Happy 4th to you as well! :salute:

Thats pretty convincing evidence to me! Seems its probably the same AGFA.

Snagged a GM-15 at auction finally. Not any kind of miraculous find, and a little rusted; but, I'm pretty happy with it. Especially for the price. I walked away with it for 400 euro. Not too shabby for a complete GM-15 in todays market in my opinion, especially one with the nice name details on it that this set has. It will be a few months before I am home to look at it in person, so here are the photos from the auction.

The mask has the odd square cloth device between the mask and filter-I've heard that these helped filter out some chemical agents that were made up of larger dust size particles; but, someones also told me that they were used to keep the mask snug in the carrier so it would not rattle. I don't know if either of those things are true, personally; but, the cloth is present on this example.

To be honest, I'm a little weary of it. Are fake filter cloths known to be dishonestly added to masks to increase their value? I know its nearly impossible to produce a convincing fake of one of these masks, and it seems like the set is legitimate and has been all together for a very long time; however, the cloths are just something I don't know a great deal about.

The bottom of the can has some pretty serious surface rust and theres not much original paint left on the outside of the carrier; but, the straps are both there and the long strap is un-torn and complete with the buckle.

The instruction card is turned upside down at the bottom of the can and has had the rusting out filter sitting atop it for years. I hope that being turned upside down, the instructions have survived intact; but, I can already see that the corrosion has at least partially fused the card with the carrier bottom, so I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to remove it to inspect it or not. Its only in one corner, so fingers crossed

This is probably my favorite thing about the set and definitely makes it being a little rusted worth it. Theres something really cool about having the original owners Name and Battery on the carrier lid. Definitely certified "Stone Cold Cool" if you ask me.

What do you think guys, how did I do?

All the best
Alex

Back