WTB Field Gray Steel Wappen for a Converted M15 helmet.

SBach

Hi and thanks for looking. I'm looking for a Gray Steel Wappen, state doesn't matter, for a model 1915 Pickelhaube other ranks. Poor condition will work fine. I've included a picture because the plate holes are only 2" apart and not centered between the spike base and front visor. I know this is going to be hard, if not impossible, to find. Thanks again for looking. Scott

4bhqxyLl.png

That 2" would be about 50mm, that close together is generally Saxon or Bavarian. I'm thinking it would be Bavarian given the holes position. It would appear that at one time it had a different plate on it. I think some one posted a list of the general hole distances by state no to long ago. Is there any Wappen ghost on the front of the helmet? Any markings inside?

Thanks for the reply aicusv and I think your right on the money. When James was selling all those Wappens he had a Bavarian Wappen with posts 2" apart and that's the only time I've seen that. I saw that post with a list of general hole distances apart but dang if I can't find it now. The least distance holes were Saxon and Bavaria but they were 2.25" or 2.75", one or the other. Yes there was different plate on it at one time and filled holes but I can't see any shadow of a wappen outline. All writing inside the helmet has faded except for the soldiers name that brought it home 1918 or 1919 which is a cool story in itself.

Hello SBach, I think this is the post you cannot find.
https://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14777
I can measure the distances of the holes on my M15's if you want, but like Aicusv said, Saxon an Bavarian come the closest to what
your wappen should be.

Greetings, Coert.

One thing I've noticed over the years, is that some of the plates have a bit of spring back to them. That the retaining loops may be 1 or 2 mm closer together than the holes.This results in a better fit to the helmet.

Thanks Coert - Don't go through the trouble of measuring your helmet unless it's convenient and either Saxony or Bavaria. Yes, that's the thread. So 2.25" and mine is 2". Possible Shrinkage? The 2 holes that were filled are still 4" apart so if it was a Prussian Garde at one time, that would be the correct distance. Saxon loops look centered on the plate while Bavarian loops look higher up on the plate like aicusv mentioned. I've read where the bottom of the plate should be just barely above the top of the front visor. Thanks for the info guys, things are becoming clearer.

I would agree with aicusv, in my experience, many original wappen have a slight difference between grommet and loop, so that the wappen literally has to be forced into position and snaps against the shell. They also have to be pried away from the shell to take them off. As a collector, when you encounter this, there is no doubt that the wappen is original to the helmet. Now leather shrinkage over time can effect this but an original wappen fits easily into the grommets/ holes and matches the finish marks on the shell.

Thanks to one and all for this enlightening information on wappen fit in relation to the individual Imperial German States.
Best regards
John

Last edited:
Back