WTB: Franco - Prussian War items

LangeKerl

Seeking field gear, swords, uniforms, bayonets, Needle Gun assessories, photos, battlefield relics, etc.

LangeKerl said:
Seeking field gear, swords, uniforms, bayonets, Needle Gun assessories, photos, battlefield relics, etc.

I have a canteen that I would sell if you are interested.

John :)

Hello,
I am helping moderating a French forum, feel free to ask over there. Even in English, it's no problem.
Meanwhile check out this guy's collection;
http://www.passionmilitaria.com/t65043-ma-collection-1870-71" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Incredibly difficult to find. I have always been interested with the Franco-Preußen war. Since the mid 1980s I have received most of the German auction catalogues, and never have I seen an Line Infantry Waffenrock with issue date prior to 1872. I have been searching that long. One has never appeared on de-bay to my knowledge, and I keep a close eye on that since I joined in 1998. Wish I'd bought stocks.....

I knew the retired Museumsleter Herrn Colonel Schmidt of Das Wehrgeschichtliche Museum Schloss Rastatt and had the pleasure of a visit from him in Calgary in 1993. On my last visit to Schloss Rastatt in 2004, I was joined for my visit by Herrn Böhm, the current Museumsleter. I was interested in seeing an issued Waffenrock from the Franco-Preußen war, but sadly, of the 2000+ Waffenrock in Rastatt, none to show.

I now have 15 or so Pickelhauben worn during the Franco-Preußen war. Sadly, no issued infantry Waffenrock yet though I will never stop looking. Although, I do not expect to ever find one. Edged weapons you can find. Cloth, impossible.

You could get around the "impossible" by finding a Eigetumsstück (privately purchased) M67 Waffenrock, with the key features of no rear slit up the back skirt, and 25 mm buttons.

You would also have to find a Regt that carried the same shoulder strap colors in 1870 and in 1895 after the reorg. I have a list of the Franco-Preußen war strap colors I can send you, and you can compare from my Waffenrock charts here> http://www.kaisersbunker.com/gtp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always nice to see someone else who is interested in what I believe, was the most significant war in the last 200 years as it set the course of European history from then, to now.

Gruß, Tony

Tony ;
Speaking of the Franco - Prussian War ;
How about a true regimental Fahna that was
carried in to battle .
The Fahnentrager was killed in action with the flag
in his hands . The King of Prussia at the time
put forth an A K O ( if that is correct for what I am trying to say )
that any flag pole that was held by the Fahnentrager who was K I A
should have a special ring added to the pole with the name & rank
of the Fahnentrager and the battle where he was killed and the date .

I also collect and like the 1870 / 71 K D M streamers that
go to each flag that saw action along with gilt bars that carry
the name of each battle the regiment / Batl. were engaged in .

Steve

Thanks for the responses. I guess I should have clarified that I am seeking Prussian items. This is a rather new interest of mine, as I am getting bored with my primary collecting interest; WWII Fallschirmjäger.

I started collecting Needle Guns a few years ago and now have 5. I picked up the only bayonet I did not have at the recent Kassel Show; an unmodified M65 Hirschfänger.

Also have a bunch of the M1850 ammo pouches and several M60 Pickelhaubes and Tschakos.

Grabbed this tunic when Larry listed it on his website;

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5740" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Met a German who has sold me lots of various German rounds excavated from the 1870 battlefields.

Saw this tunic at the Rastatt museum just last week.

@ Tony - I have been using your website as a reference for a few years as I am quite the novice. Aggressive, but still a novice in this era.

@ John - yes I would be interested in your canteen. Was hoping for one with all the leather straps, if they can be found.

LangeKerl said:
@ John - yes I would be interested in your canteen. Was hoping for one with all the leather straps, if they can be found.

Sorry it took so long to get back. If you are interested just PM me and we can work something out.

John :)

Back