WTB Saxon Officer Pickelhaube 100.R

officer pickelhaubes are not marked, so it's just the combination of the wappen and the colour that defines this regiment, I think you mean this helmet (saxon infantry officer in silber),
I got one, (left pickelhaube); I was not really considering selling it, but if I can trade it for an imperial cavalry headgear piece, or something from Hessen, I might consider letting it go. (I live in Roosendaal, so if Nieuport is a geographical description in Belgium you are not too far away).

Attachments

• IMG_4382.jpg
    IMG_4382.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 64
Hello Michiel

I did live in Belgium several years (many years ago!) but now live in USA (Arizona in fact)

You have a nice collection of helmets !! My interest in a Saxon officer 100.R pickelhaube is to have a companion for my regiment marked (100.R 6-Kompanie waffe Nr. 15) Dreyse Modell 1907 ;-)

I do not have any helmet to trade and shipping a firearm outside USA is out of the question (and I think I know gun ownership in Nederland is reserved for the most-serious interested parties)

Thanks for your interest and in case you care, here is a picture of my pistol (below)

100.R.6.15 Dreyse.jpg
Best Regards

Doug

Last edited:
Randy & Remy have a real, 100 Regiment unit marked enlisted helmet on their Age of Kings Militaria website

Hello,
In theory, only regulation weapons and effects (Kammer) belonging to the army were marked in the regiment. Conversely, privately and commercially purchased weapons and effects were not regimented, but were often marked by name. (This was the case for officers' uniforms and weapons, Einjährig-Freiwilliger, Fähnrich, Juncker etc. etc.).

Hello,
In theory, only regulation weapons and effects (Kammer) belonging to the army were marked in the regiment. Conversely, privately and commercially purchased weapons and effects were not regimented, but were often marked by name. (This was the case for officers' uniforms and weapons, Einjährig-Freiwilliger, Fähnrich, Juncker etc. etc.).

Yes, I realize this fact. I am fully aware of this. I only pointed out to member Nieuport that there was an enlisted helmet that has issue markings on it, available on the Age of Kings website. He said he is interested in purchasing an officer pickelhaube marked to the Leib Grenadier-Regimetn Nr. 100. Since he said he want a helmet marked to LGR#100, maybe he would be interested in an enlisted helmet, since you (Clovis 57) and I both know that officer helmets were not marked to any regiment.

The person who started this thread (Nieuport) may or may not realize this fact that officer helmets were not marked to any regiment or unit, generally speaking, because officer helmets are private purchase items and not issued by the regiment. I say this because member Nieuport stated the following message when starting this thread:
I'm interested in purchasing an officer pickelhaube marked to the Leib Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 100

Last edited:
ww1czechlegion you are correct, no, I did not know that officer helmets were always private purchase (and therefore never unit marked).
Thanks for the education !

Welcome Nieuport, great to have you join us. I would like to point out that we have recently added a “New Collector “ section to the forum where novice collectors can ask any questions they may have. Of course this doesn’t restrict you from posting a question on any other part of the forum either. One last thing….to frustrate spammers new members can not PM other members until they have made at least 5 posts. You can PM a member by clicking on their name or avatar in the left hand margin.

There are also two Officers for sale on Regimentals site in the UK. i have seen one and it is all ok IMO. the other I have not handled. Nice to ahve a choice though....

There are also two Officers for sale on Regimentals site in the UK. i have seen one and it is all ok IMO. the other I have not handled. Nice to ahve a choice though....
I believe one of these (86976) is to one of the two Saxon pioneer units, 12 or 22, because it has gilt stars.The other (86065) has silver stars which is correct for LGR 100.

ww1czechlegion you are correct, no, I did not know that officer helmets were always private purchase (and therefore never unit marked).
Thanks for the education !
Yes, because :
---The soldier was "dressed" and armed by the Army, and did not own that.
---The officer was paid a sum of money expressly to dress and equip himself in the trade (tailor, armourer etc...) and owned the "made-to-measure".

Yes, because :
---The soldier was "dressed" and armed by the Army, and did not own that.
---The officer was paid a sum of money expressly to dress and equip himself in the trade (tailor, armourer etc...) and owned the "made-to-measure".
So Clovis 57, would you say that the unit-marked pistol above would have been carried by a soldier (not an officer)?

So Clovis 57, would you say that the unit-marked pistol above would have been carried by a soldier (not an officer)?

Yes, your pistol would have been carried by an enlisted ranks soldier.

That's why I stated that Age of Kings Militaria (Randy & Remy) had an enlisted issue marked helmet for sale. It would go nicely with your issue marked (unit marked) pistol.

I'm sorry you didn't realize that officer helmets were not issued by the regiments. They are private purchase helmets, purchased by the individual officers. I shouldn't have taken for granted that you knew this.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Yes, I can confirm that. Machine gunners, artillerymen, car drivers, motorbike couriers, etc. etc... may have been equipped with pistols by the army.
A few rare officer's sabres may show regimental markings, but this is an exception in 2 cases:
---Fahnenträger carried endowment sabres.
---0ffizierstellvertreten (front-appointed porters).
In this case, the weapon number is always the unit or possibly a maximum of 2.

This is the case with the IOD89 (Infanterie-Offizier-Degen M1889) below. This is an officer's saber, but it was legally entrusted to the Fahnenträger of the 2nd Battalion of the Baden JR111. It was the 2nd saber issued to this battalion.

In the case of the pistol, it was the N°15 weapon of the 6th company of LGR100. There were not 15 officers in this company.

Attachments

• IOD89 Fahnenträger.jpg
    IOD89 Fahnenträger.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back