Württemberg Dragoon Sword

garlanj

Hi all. I'm new to the site. Used to collect Imperial militaria about 30 years ago but stopped and sold it all when I got married!
Having a clear out the other day and found this which has rekindled my interest! It's a 25th Dragoons EM sword (model 89?) made in 1891. The sword and scabbard have matching issue numbers - 25.D.1.14. Really looking for some tips on how to clean up the guard - ie get off the rust without ruining the metal. Blade and scabbard are ok. Also any idea where (or even if) I could get a sword knot (I think it should be leather and all white for the first squadron?).
Many thanks for any help you can give me.

dsc01236pj.jpg

dsc01237x.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality!!

I fixed your photos so they would show.

This product is amazing. Does not harm the metal, leaves the patina intact. Only removes the rust.

Google it.

evapo.jpg

Hi Tony - thanks very much - not too good with technical stuff like image uploading I'm afraid!
Googled Evapo-rust and found the UK distributor so will get in touch on Monday.
If I dip the whole hilt in do you know if it will damage the grip?
All the best
Jeremy

Great tip Tony, never heard of that stuff before. A local auto parts store in town carries it, so I am on the way to get some!

James

Great tip indeed Tony.
Would this work on Brass Pickelhaube parts (wappen, spike mainly) wth heavy patina that would have lost their gilding anyway or is this only a rust remover??

Oh Gawd. I have started something.. #-o

This stuff is amazing. It will not remove patina, gilding, anything. Just rust. It "could" discolour the Bakelite grip, so soak paper towels in Evaporust, and carefully cover all the rusted parts of your hilt avoiding the grip. Then wrap those areas in a cling-wrap then in a plastic bag overnight to keep it from drying out. In the morning you will be shocked that the paper towels are dark red. That is the rust sucked out. Might have to do this two or three times. After you get the rust out, you have raw metal which will begin to rust immediately, so you must apply gun oil. Then it will be stable.

I just ran an inquiry and it appears that Sears sells it in quart containers here in the USA for $9.79.

Having a clear out the other day and found this which has rekindled my interest! It's a 25th Dragoons EM sword (model 89?) made in 1891. The sword and scabbard have matching issue numbers - 25.D.1.14.

Cool. I have a Wurtt. KD89 marked 25 D 56 dated 1897 produced by Alex Coppel.

Back