Württemberg Officer M15

Lost Skeleton

My "latest find" is a leather Württemberg Landwehr/Reserve officer helmet conforming to the design specified by the neuen Uniformen AKO in 1915. For infantry officers, this would be a helmet worn in the field, sans spike, with a cover and leather chinstrap.

However, because the 1915 helmet was also conceived to be worn in peacetime, it was designed to be convertible. Henceforward, the spike, or artillery Kugel, would utilize the same attachment system developed for M15 Mannschaften helmets, and the Knopf 91 would be employed as the universal mounting for chinstraps and chinscales.

Additional reading on the M15 helmet is available through the references by Herrmann (Militärische Kopfbedeckungen der Kaiserzeit; page 40), Kraus (The German Army; page 37), and Larcade (Casques à Pointe, Tome I; pages 116 - 118).

P1010990.jpg

P1010994.jpg

While examining the Württemberg, some unusual distinctions emerged. For example, the "textbook" M15 officer 55 mm Kokarde would feature a 19 mm hole:

M15Kokarde.jpg

However, these specific 55 mm Kokarden are permanently attached by the Knopf 91 (the Knopf base measures the "standard" 18 mm).

P1010984.jpg

P1010982.jpg

This configuration implies a Kokarde with three holes; something I've not encountered previously.

Though fitted with a quality liner, the fore and aft visors are plain leather, a Diensthelm characteristic. By discarding the paper green and red under visor panels, nonessential labor and material could be reduced. Nevertheless, the base of the neck visor was given a dyed edge simulating the customary private purchase trim. Unfortunately, there is no obvious way to ascertain the manufacturer.

P1010986.jpg

P1010985.jpg

P1010993.jpg

Perhaps the biggest surprise is the base diameter of the removable one-piece spike. The ventilated M15 Rast des Bajonettringes measures a massive 30.5 mm, whereas other M15 specimens in my collection measure a uniform 24 mm.

P1010987.jpg

P1010988.jpg

Finally, the chinscales feature a unique design in which the faux/integrated Rosette appears to be soldered to the scale:

P1011038.jpg

P1011040.jpg

P1011039.jpg

For comparison, this left scale from a Prussian infantry M15 features a lower profile single-piece Rosette stamping:

P1011026.jpg

P1011029.jpg

P1011027.jpg

It may be too much to suggest the Württemberg is a prototype or Probe helmet (why Landwehr?), but it does present another wrinkle in the chronicle of Pickelhauben.

Questions or comments are welcome.

Chas.

Wow. That is such a superb example Chas. Would still like to find a Würt officer myself. Without this sounding too far off in left field, do you think it is 'possible' that the manufacturer decided to meet the M15 regs by taking some of his stock private-purchase M91 chinscales, and just soldered a rosette over top?

Tony & Kaiser said:
//Without this sounding too far off in left field//
Hi Tony:

I too had considered this possibility. However, the Rosetten seem purpose made for this specific application. The profile of Rosette, excluding the scale component, measures 8 mm in thickness. Nothing I have in pre-1915 Rosetten approaches these proportions

The mounting scale has three vertical convex scallops (which is consistent with M91 private purchase scales), but I can't recall seeing the two shallow inverted scallops (top and bottom) before.

It's a real :scratch:

For comparison below are two more examples of 1915 Rosetten. Like the Prussian above, two scallops appear to represent the standard.

Baden Infantry:

P1011034.jpg

P1011036.jpg

P1011035.jpg

Württemberg Field Artillery:

P1011030.jpg

P1011033.jpg

P1011031.jpg

The helmets can be seen here:

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3307&start=0

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
I too had considered this possibility. However, the Rosetten seem purpose made for this specific application. The profile of Rosette, excluding the scale component, measures 8 mm in thickness. Nothing I have in pre-1915 Rosetten approaches these proportions//

I wasn't clear; I did not mean a standard Rosette, what I meant, was it almost seems like the manufacturer had this Rosetten 'cap' made to solder over the M91 lug that protrudes. As you noted, other purpose-made officer M15 chinscales have much shallower Rosetten.

Chas: Interesting M15 helmet, very nice. To add to the discussion here are photos of two different M15 chinscales with soldered on rosettes. The first appear identical to yours. These scales are from my spare parts so I cannot provide any information about the helmet to which they were originally attached.

scale1xo6.jpg

The second set are from a private purchase M15 Pionier helmet.

scalebsy6.jpg

I think manufacturers initially used existing stocks of parts to create M15 style chinscales before purchasing or fabricating end pieces with an integral rosette cap. The chinscales in the first photo also have a combination of brass and zinc scales on one side which indicates to me that the manufacturer had also run out of brass scales in certain sizes.

Reservist1

Back