Württemberg Pickelhaube

My newest helmet. Bought for 600 euros, what are your thoughts?

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Helm-Pickelhaube-Spikehelmet-Casque-à-pointe-Württemberg/254614487755

This is not a helmet I would have bought...lots of repro parts, to include the plate IMO...

I checked the plate out. I’m still not sure yet, but I believe it’s original, I could be wrong but that’s just my opinion. It’s also named. It comes from a 70 year old collector with this kind of collection, I don’t think he’s the kind of person to put reproduction parts on helmets.

14350771-3AFA-4FED-859C-E3F9E9AF3A19.jpegD5F2B565-0E6F-4748-B2E6-3648108D099E.jpeg3A7AD4CD-FB50-4594-B02A-39F38CDB0866.jpeg

Nothing like an anti-tank gun in the front yard to keep the door-door salesmen away!

Haha. I wonder how much that was... Well I think that the chinstrap and cockades could be repros potentially, but I think the rest is original. I may be wrong but this is my opinion

It seems that the matt gray original colour has been scraped bare and the metal polished to a shine.

There is a tiny bit of the gray paint left on the M91 posts and spine fastener (inside the rear visor).

Sounds bad. I’m not convinced that they’ve been replaced but you are correct. It has been polished. Not looking great but it’s not as bad as the Garde helmet from last year

He told me this was how he got it a long time ago, he said if I don’t want to buy it he can sell it to the second highest bidder, is it worth the risk, or should I pass? It was 600 euros

Personally, I would cancel this purchase. The helmet is an M15 with polished/chromed fittings, the stag antlers are gone. None of this is correct, why waste your money? By buying something that has been messed with, you are just creating problems for yourself !

I agree with all above. Cancel the sale, as said, the fittings should be gray, not polished or chromed.
It might be an original piece, as the shell looks correct and is named, but the polishing/chroming make its value go down a lot.

If, as you said the seller agrees with cancelling I would do that, you will someday regret you bought it. And you dont want that,
you want good helmets to appreciate and cherish.

Very good PG, you have dodged a bullet, well done! One of the foundation stones of this forum is for more experienced collectors to give advice to fellow collectors on "helmet purchases". I have been doing this for 40 years and I have made some mistakes, mostly by giving into "collector fever" :( . You see a helmet that you have wanted for years, you ignore your collector "check list" and shell out the cash in a frenzy!! Then you get it home, the frenzy is over and you start to notice things..... :???: Most of us "senior collectors" have done this and we are just trying to help younger, newer collectors from getting caught up in this 'fever" and buying crap.
Regarding the Wurtt M15,.... I bought one for myself at the MAX in Pburgh decades ago and the other...cash and Wurtt M15 for a complete CEF WW1 tunic and straight leg pants uniform all to one man. I did the deal with a 16 year old collector who arrived with his father at my house. As the Brits say, I was "chuffed" that a teenager was so into our hobby. :)

Trust me I am into it. I have bought 3 things in the past few weeks and I got a lot of stuff coming and going. My goal is to open a shop one day and end up as successful as stores like regimentals. Thank you guys so much for the help, you helped me dodge quite a bullet! On another note, I got a guy trying to sell me a Prussian helmet for 400, I don’t know if I should negotiate or just reject it. It’s a little beat up with some repairs but it’s not the worst thing that I’ve seen. Here it is.

92A5A6E0-8298-480E-9ECA-5EFC5BCE4641.jpeg8443F40A-0D85-4097-B545-38B33D3FC709.jpegE47A3B60-8DC9-45AF-8976-876BABFB3A54.jpegE100BC8D-5626-4D35-9139-2CAA9CCC8674.jpeg

Prussian Garde said:
I checked the plate out. I’m still not sure yet, but I believe it’s original, I could be wrong but that’s just my opinion. It’s also named. It comes from a 70 year old collector with this kind of collection, I don’t think he’s the kind of person to put reproduction parts on helmets.

14350771-3AFA-4FED-859C-E3F9E9AF3A19.jpegD5F2B565-0E6F-4748-B2E6-3648108D099E.jpeg3A7AD4CD-FB50-4594-B02A-39F38CDB0866.jpeg
Hey PG, I just looked at those pictures, and I think I know the guy selling the Wurt.
His collection room is exactly as I remember when I visited him 4 years ago. Only some helmets are different.
If he lives in The Netherlands I'm sure it is the same guy.

I bought some nice helmets from him, also a Wurt M15 which you can still see pictueres of on this forum, if I am not mistaken, but they also might have vanished with the Photobucket disaster a few years ago.

Coert.

Back