Württemberg Pickelhaube

Prussian Garde said:
Is his name Jan? And also should I negotiate for the Prussian haube?
Yes, his name is Jan. He used to advertise pickelhaubes on our local vending site, Marktplaats, but stopped doing so.
But I did buy nice helmets from him.
I will have a look at the Prussian helmet you posted, and will let you know, didn't look before to be honest.
But if you have his contact info, let me know via Private message will you?
I visited his house several times, and he is not difficult in returning things, or swapping stuff.
This is how I recognised the collection room of him. Also bought a Tschako with a fake feldzeichen on it, he swapped it over when I was there next time I visited him. This Tschako is also still visible on this forum I guess.

Greetings, Coert.

Well, I just looked at the Prussian helmet, but I wouldn't buy it for 400.
I would buy it for spares, but not for that money.
Front visortrim looks bodged with the splitbrads fitted like that, chinstrap look repro, and it has a Wurt cockade, probably also repro.
It seems like a helmet done up quickly, for selling.
For me it would be for parts only.

Yeah that’s what I thought. I’m buying a nice ek from the guy. He recently came into a $140,000 collection and has some serious stuff. Also, check your inbox

To be fair to the seller of the Wurtt, he does say that it was probably chromed. On the other hand, claiming that the stag is in Springtime trim ie without antlers, is an interesting way of describing damage!

Patrick

I know the seller, he is an honest guy. About 4 years ago I bought 5 helmets from him, which I picked up at his house.
I posted them here on the board too.

Greetings, Coert.

Yeah. It’s not his fault in anyway, I just didn’t think that the chroming wasn’t going to affect the value too much, it was my fault for bidding on something I wasn’t sure about.

Hi guys, we all gave our honest opinion for PG to aid in his buying decisions. But have we ever spared athought for the seller? PG bought the item thinking that it was a bargain and he sought our opinion AFTER he has won the bid. And what he did after that was simply telling the seller to cancel the deal. A bid is an agreement to buy the item, isn't it?

The seller did spend 7 days waiting for the auction to end, he did describe the chroming and the picture did show that the deer has the horn missing. So to a certain extend, he was honest. Shouldn't PG consult us first if he is in doubt? In the first place, shouldn't we learn the basic of pickelhaubes before we even embark on a bidding war? We can lose out in the bidding but our knowledge will never lose out in that bidding, in fact, we get to know where we have gone wrong.

My question here also involved :Why did PG not consult us before the bidding? cos competition? If such is the thinking then I don't think PG should be on this forum. In this forum, we are never selfish, we share our knowledge with each other. We share our pickelhaube parts with members to let them complete their helmet(s). Brian has run the forum entirely different from other forums and in fact, I have seen comments in WAF saying that pickelhaubes.com forum consist of a batch of knowledgeable collectors who will share their knowledge openingly.

Back to the cancellation, this is totally unjust to the seller .

Hi Amy, I take full responsibility for not consulting you guys before purchasing the item. Also I understand that this is in no way the fault of the seller, it is my mistake. I had found the auction when I was randomly browsing all of the eBay’s for pickelhaubes with 12 minutes left and when I had checked the forum and no one was on. I thought that the chroming would not affect the value too much. So, being an inexperienced collector, I made a quick decision and went for it. I posted it later that day. Also I never brought up cancellation afterwards, he said, and I quote “ But if you have any doubts, don't buy it and I will sell it to the second best bidder. It's no problem.”

I was in no way worried about competition as I have had experience in the past with me posting an item and most of you guys not saying that you would not bid. I made a mistake and I apologize to you guys and I have repeatedly apologized to the seller and I once again am sorry for making this mistake. This is my fault and I accept complete responsibility for it. This will never happen again.

PG, you ought to invest in books to build up your knowledge and know at least the basic of pickelhaubes if you are serious in taking up this hobby. We can give you our opinion but why would we be telling you what you should buy and what you should not buy and how much they are worth etc. Jim Turinetti has many books including price guide on haubes so please go and invest in them.

For one or two pieces, we would be happy to share. But why make use of us to build up your collection without you even putting in the slightest effort.

You bidded on the item 12 minutes before bidding ends and you expect whoever who is online in this forum to help you on your decision. When no one was online, you decided to secure the deal knowing that you can cancel it or not pay for it in the worst scenario. Yes, you won it. You were then happy to share and try to justify your buying decision. When we all disagree that its a good investment, you decided to dogde the bullet and simply cancel the order. So, if we think it is good, you will proceed right?? So now, I think we are the ones who indirectly cause an honest seller to suffer, cos we told you to dodge the bullet.

With this case, I appeal to all members to assess the situation before we make any comment. We want to help each other in collecting and we have all the right intention. However, we shouldn't make some honest guy suffer. The seller was not a con man where we have to help our members to avoid, so did we do anyone justice in this case? I don't know the seller of that helmet at all and neither have I have any past grudges with PF. I just put myself in the sellers position and I would not be happy when someone tells me sorry I woukd like to cancel the purchase cos the experts in pickelhaubes.com told me to dodge the bullet.

Prussian Garde said:
Trust me I am into it. I have bought 3 things in the past few weeks and I got a lot of stuff coming and going. My goal is to open a shop one day and end up as successful as stores like regimentals. Thank you guys so much for the help, you helped me dodge quite a bullet! On another note, I got a guy trying to sell me a Prussian helmet for 400, I don’t know if I should negotiate or just reject it. It’s a little beat up with some repairs but it’s not the worst thing that I’ve seen. Here it is.

92A5A6E0-8298-480E-9ECA-5EFC5BCE4641.jpeg8443F40A-0D85-4097-B545-38B33D3FC709.jpegE47A3B60-8DC9-45AF-8976-876BABFB3A54.jpegE100BC8D-5626-4D35-9139-2CAA9CCC8674.jpeg

I would like you to give us your opinion of what's good and what's not so good for this helmet to deserve or not to deserve the asking price of $400.

I am not an experienced collectors as I started real late in this hobby and being a female in an oriental land, I even have to memorise the spelling of pickelhaube. With this helmet, I have spotted things about that helmet and I am sure all our members are able to point out cos it's the very basic.

So let us hear from you first.

Yes, you are 100% correct. I’ve purchased 2 books in the past few days, Feldzug 1915 and the pickelhaube: vol. 1, and have been waiting for their arrival. Going through this experience has taught me that I need to do more research and need to wait a little while before I buy another Pickelhaube. I am once again very sorry for what has happened and as I stated, it will never happen again.

On the helmet shown above, there have been obvious repairs to it, such as the front visor strap has been repaired with some sort of plastic, and the visors have been restitched. The cockade on the side is wrong and belongs to a Württemberg haube and it is also missing one on the other side. The chinstrap could be a reproduction but I’m not sure. There is a lot of crazing on the helmet, especially on the visor. It is mostly only good for parts and I say it’s worth about 200-300 usd. I was thinking of trying to bring him down half the price and I was asking should I try and negotiate with this guy or not.

PG, I think you have already figured out what to do with the 400 helmet and Coert has given you good advice. So go and do what your gut feelings tell you so. All the best.

Thanks Amy, I will not to use this as much as I used to for confirmation any more. I just always thought that it is good to get a second opinion on things and that was what I was doing. I understand now that that was wrong and I appreciate that you pointed that out. Now begins my research phase where I will study as much as I can about this. Thanks, and all the best to you as well. Jackson

Hi Jackson,

If I remember correctly, you must be by far the youngest member of the forum at 14 or 15. I would imagine that most members of this forum in their early years of collecting learnt the hard way, making mistakes with purchases, either by not doing enough research or buying on impulse rather than miss an opportunity. I know I did this with my very first pickelhaube, and I was a lot older than you at the time. Do your research, ask for opinions and advice at the right time, and enjoy your collecting.

All the best

Patrick

chinstrap said:
Hi Jackson,

If I remember correctly, you must be by far the youngest member of the forum at 14 or 15. I would imagine that most members of this forum in their early years of collecting learnt the hard way, making mistakes with purchases, either by not doing enough research or buying on impulse rather than miss an opportunity. I know I did this with my very first pickelhaube, and I was a lot older than you at the time. Do your research, ask for opinions and advice at the right time, and enjoy your collecting.

All the best

Patrick
I agree with Patrick on this PG. Just keep asking, we all made mistakes, so did I, several times.. And like Patrick I was a lot older than you, even now I sometimes check my books, or this forum to be sure.
You just had the Butterfies in your stomach for this Wurt, and it just worked out not to be quite what you wanted.
We all had that once, so don't worry and keep asking here, for advice.

Have a nice day!

Greetings, Coert.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Helm-Pickelhaube-Spikehelmet-Casque-a-pointe-Wurttemberg/254623897246?hash=item3b48c4569e:g:8ZYAAOSwbwZe47Eq

Seller(whom most members agree is an honest guy) didn't manage to sell it to the second highest bidder. Hope he gets a higher bid than the first round.

Back