Württemberg spikehelmet metal

Jupiter66

Hello everyone

This is a metal helmet from the kingdom of Württemberg. What do you think of this helmet?

This is the first time I see one with such a new interior. It looks like the tip has false rivets..Plate does not marry a bomb...

jupiter

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpg

Hello Jupiter,

I can only confirm that I have seen such false rivets on the spikes of original metal helmets before; can’t comment on the liner or Wappen.

Regards, Lars

Pretty much identical to my own example - with the exception of that chinstrap which does not look at all correct. Everything else seems very good indeed, including the liner.

Repro chinstrap right?

I believe the seller states clearly in the auction that the chinstrap is a copy or replica and not original:

"...Der lederne Kinnriemen vermutlich neuzeitlich ersetzt."​

Bing translation: "The leather chin strap probably replaced in modern times."

As James said, the liner is correct, the spike, and everything else is correct for this Firma von der Heyden helmet except for the modern copy chinstrap.

I can only echo what Alan and everyone else have stated above. The helmet is a rare Wurttemberg example of a metal helme made by the von der Heyden firm. They always have their firm name in gold paint as well as the helmet size up in the shell. The spike rivets are always false. There was also originally a felt skull cap up in the shell to pad the wearer’s head but many of these are missing. We collectors often call these “kit helmets “ because all of the pieces were made to snap into or onto the shell. It is an excellent helmet! 👍

Hello everyone

Thank you for your answers. I am not the buyer..

Is it normal that the plate doesn’t marry the helmet?

Hi JUPI!!!!
i possessed one like this, seems quite good IMO but....
But the corcarde have to be a back with felt.....
Is there any picture of the plate attachments ? as you notice it's doesn't fit with the helmet...

" i possessed one like this, seems quite good IMO but....
But the corcarde have to be a back with felt.....
"
Can I please ask if , by this, you mean that the kokardes on these helmets should have backings of Felt ? Like Officer kokarden have card backs?
I have never heard of this detail before and have been looking for a Wurttemburg pair for my own haube - wouldn't want to go on looking for the wrong parts! Many thanks,
Steve

Hi Brian.

Cockades are proprietary and unique to this fairly rare type of helmet.

They are convex embossed away from the base of the M91 post and have a very close fitting hole around the shaft of the post with a "pie" slot cut out of the edge of the center to allow the corresponding flange to over ride and allow the cockade to snap into place.

These are some of the most securely fitting cocades manufactured for the M1891 posts in my opinion.

I will go grab one and post a photo.

The "kit" helmet cockade shown below also fits extremely close to the sides of the crown of the helmet.

Attachments

• 20221024_215729.jpg
    20221024_215729.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
And Jupiter66,

That is a super nice helmet with a very rare plate. I wish you could have scored on that.

Bryan.

Thanks for the helpful kokarde picture Bryan, I had asked about these notched kokarden being used on kit helmets months ago and the consensus was that only Saxon helmets used them.
My ongoing problem being to find them.
Steve

The only time that I haven't seen these types of cockades on this type of helmet is when they have been replaced.

Good luck finding a set. They are tough...

Back