Württemberg Stahlblech

I agree with the others very nice.
Unusual that it has a black liner .
Most that I have seen have a natural tan/brown liner with thin leather.

Nice helmet. Congratulations.
With its particular shape, in a single shell, and its edge hemmed with a small steel wire, it is an manufacture "S. Schneller et Cie in Breslau". These shells were made from the same mould, in sheet iron, brass and, more rarely, Duralumin (copper and aluminium). On this model, the cap is made of black patent leather, and there is sometimes black felt at the bottom of the shell to insulate it from the cold.

Here's a "brass" found on a dig
Laiton de fouille Schneller Breslau.jpg

An identical one from Württemberg, also in brass. When the visor is made of brass or aluminium, soft metals, a reinforcing bead runs around the edge, as on leather shells. Not on a sheet steel shell.
Laiton Soissons 21 Schneller.jpg
The same model in Duralumin :
Dural Scneller Lanz91.jpg

Two types of tip fixing:
---1--- washers and folding lugs.
Laiton laqué coiffe sur cercle.jpeg

---2--- Openwork teller specific to this brand
Teller laiton peint Schneller.GIF

And Schneller's black-finish liner.
Scneller&Cie Breslau Wurt.jpg

Last edited:
That is extensive info with some really great pictures. Thanks a lot for that!
I have a special interest in the former eastern parts of Germany, so the fact that this one was made in Breslau is a nice bonus for me. :giggle:

Hello,
I've known about the existence of "S. Schneller & Cie in Breslau. and their steel, aluminium or brass sheets. This manufacturer produced helmets in sheet steel, but also rare helmets in brass and a few in aluminium. The stamping mould is always the same, with a wire wrapped around the edge. They are always painted black, regardless of the metal used for the hull.
I've just had the opportunity to buy one with a brass shell. I'm very happy to share it here. It's a Bade.

Bade  Laiton S. Schneller Breslau.JPGBade Laiton  S. Schneller Breslau.JPGBade Laiton S. Schneller  et C°.JPGBade Laiton S. Schneller & Cie.JPG

All the S.Schneller I've seen have black varnished liners.

Bade Laiton Schneller-Breslau.JPG
I wonder if Schneller didn't make (brass) firemen's helmets before the war, and that it was requisitioned at the time of mobilisation to make military helmets.

Last edited:
Back