WW1 Turkish Grenades

I had not considered that the lug on the side might be for a spoon, partly because most examples I have seen have a ring in the lug, supposedly for carrying, and the IWM example has the simple brass fuse body.
I was aware that the Turks used ball grenades, and have seen photos of several examples. What kind of provenance does the IWM have on their Turkish #2 grenade?
Best
Gus

I doubt very much that that grenade is from the Gallipoli campaign. I have been there and the only Turkish grenades you come across in the museums are this type: http://www.paul-spence1964.com/BULGARIANBALLGREN.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For most dealers the only association that can be made between the Turks and WW1 is Gallipoli so it's hardly surprising. Most of the Turkish WW1 bits I have bought over the years have had something along the lines of 'no doubt a Gallipoli souvenir' in the dealer's description.

As for the grenade itself, I'm sure it's a WW1 Turkish grenade but a later type. I know a dealer who was reproducing them and selling them off as originals not so long ago so I'm inclined to give it a swerve myself.

Simon

PS: Pleased to have found a fellow Turkish collector!

Indeed, these ball grenades are lovely but I've never seen one for sale in the UK though I've seen a few of the later type. I'll have a route and see if I can find my Gallipoli photos; there are some good shots in there of battlefield recovered Turk ball grenades.

S

These grenades have turned up on the market recently,sold from the UK (dugup) I have good reason to beleive that their "originals" are nothing more than aged reproductions.Buyer beware.

Back