WWI Camo opinions

siquisiri

companeros,
I could really use your expert opinions on this helmet.

89camo11.jpg

89camo2.jpg

89camo3.jpg

89camo4.jpg

89camo5.jpg

thanks
Francisco

Hey Francisco,
Muy bien, looks good to me, the green is a bit bright, but that could be the photo, and the Otto Koch lable has been discussed before.
Gustavo

Francisco,

It is certainly not in the regulation colors. I would not bother me so much if only one were substituted, but with the blue and odd shades of yellow, brown and red, I would pass on it. I would not want to try to have to explain the colors if I decided to sell it in the future. Everything else looks fine.

Chip

Chip Minx said:
Francisco,

It is certainly not in the regulation colors. I would not bother me so much if only one were substituted, but with the blue and odd shades of yellow, brown and red, I would pass on it. I would not want to try to have to explain the colors if I decided to sell it in the future. Everything else looks fine.

Chip

Hi Francisco,
It looks not good to me ( only the colors ).
OTT

Otto,
We can still read your first post, you are not covering up very well. I am still inclined to say it is good, a fake would do a better job of making it look like all the others. Judging by the off colours and the sloppy painting on the black lines, I think this is a helmet that was painted at the front with available paints. So far all the fakes (only a few) have had very rgular black lines, also (even though it is possible to age paints) the paint looks properly oxidized. That all being said, I would have to admit that Chip has much more knoledge on the subject than I have.
Besrt wihes
Gus

Gus,

It has been my belief that these odd colors were post-war paint jobs, done (for the most part) by those that catered to the battlefield tourist industry in Europe after the war. I know quite well that not all camo helmets complied with the regulations. That is to be expected, but to me, this is not of the period. I agree that the surface is oxidized, but if you study the surface of period painted helmets you would notice that the most common disruption of the surface is created by the paint being chipped or scuffed. This paint looks like it was applied over an already oxidized surface and the rust bubbled up from underneath. The paint looks watery and faded, other characteristics not shared by the period camo helmets that I have seen. Just my observations.

Chip

Good points Chip, but as it was a helmet that would have been a year old when it was repainted (if it is a war time paint) it should have some signs of chipping and rust under the camo. I tend to believe that the standard camos that have the even black lines are the post war souveniers painted by locals for the American soldiers. The reasoning behind my opinion is, I find it hard to believe that there would be so much uniformity in the paint during war time. That is just me talking, but then I drink window cleaner.
Best wishes
Gus

These are not the standard colors for camo helmets, however artillery guns crews were issued with about 7-8 different colors for camoflaging the guns. They are much harder to hide and require more elaborate painting. It would be easy for someone to appropriate some of this for their helmet. The regs for painting the camo helmets with the black lines came out in July 1918. Of course there was a lively trade in "trench art"camos after the war. I have one and you would never know it was trench art done if there was not pitting under the paint. The colors are perfect and it has 80 years of age on it.
Dan Murphy

Daniel Murphy said:
I have one and you would never know it was trench art done if there was not pitting under the paint. The colors are perfect and it has 80 years of age on it.

Dan, they should all have pitting under the camo paint. These helmets were wore in combat from 1916 up to July 1918 when they were ordered painted in the field. The paint was supplied to the units, they were not factory done, which of course you know. So most of these helmets already showed exsessive wear when they were over-painted in camo. But the important thing as you said, is the colors.

below is my best one, (but not my favorite). brought back by a memebr of the LdSH Cavalry regt from Alberta, and I am very sure a poor farmer's son did not go back to Beligium after the war for a visit. I think that is a bigger myth. As a rule, soldiers do not generally go back to visit a place they hated.

fgh27.jpg

Tony & Kaiser said:
I am very sure a poor farmer's son did not go back to Beligium after the war for a visit.
I'm inclined to agree; however, it is important to remember, the CEF did not pack up and leave on 12 November 1918. My relative, who was a Sapper in the 1st Pioneers never left Belgium until 2 January 1919. He was then posted to C.R.T. Depot in Whitby, and, later, C.C.C. Kinmel Park and did not embark for Canada until 1 February 1919.

The point being, there was plenty of time to collect souvenirs from the starving Belgians. The following is a transcript from a letter my cousin wrote to my great-grandfather while on a four day leave from 1 - 5 December 1918.

Belgium
Nov. 29 / 18
Dec. 5,

Dear Uncle Fred: --

The last time that I wrote you, I believe we were feeling rather blue out here. Things looked very bad in the Spring but it has ended up the right way after all. I made a trip into Mons yesterday, went part of the way about 4 kilos by street car. I am at a little town at present called Hàvria (?). And our billets are fine, the best that I have been in out here. Things are very dear here. A little piece of soap about 2”x 3”x 1/2” costs 4 francs. I saw signs at a butcher shop in Mons yesterday: Meat 4-1/2 to 5 francs 1/2 Kilogramme - 1-1/10 lbs. A meal consisting of a very small beefsteak & some cabbage and soup costs from 6-1/2 to 8 fr.

A number of the boys have turned their leaves down but I sure did not and expect to get away for a few days too. Anything for a change. The people here are still relying on the Belgian Relief Fund for their grub. Fritz took everything with him in the shape of poultry and rabbits etc so they have not much left. There is a little girl and a boy here 11 & 13 years of age. The boy is just getting over an attack of pleurisy and is very white and sickly looking. The doctor says that he will not be long as his left lung is gone. Nearly all the kids out here have the same look on their faces. I have just been a week in bed that is the reason for the late alteration. I could not become sick enough to make hospital sorry to say.

Katherine writes a nice little letter. I will drop her a letter some time in the future. I get fed up at the letter writing business and cut it out for long spells at a time. I am enclosing a Xmas card for Katherine from Mons. Your pillow has been tramped on, sat upon, and rolled on and is still going strong. Well, I must close & hope we are not long here. I don’t get much to eat myself but I have to give half of it away when I watch these people in the house and what they have to eat.

Best Regards
Ted

I have one and you would never know it was trench art done if there was not pitting under the paint.
I have to back Tony up on his statement that all helmets should have some wear under the camo paint. The story of the Belgians painting the camos may be a myth, but I would bet that they did find out that an unusual helmet would make a better selling souvenir, and one reason that there are so many como helmets could be because the more unusual helmets were saved from the distruction process. If there were millions of field gray helmets and only thousands of camo helmets, one could believe that the camos would be desired for souvenirs. Nearly all the trench art arty shells are post war production, done on order by troops waiting to be shipped home. The dates and locations would be given to the artisan and a selection of motif, depending on the amount the soldier was willing to pay.
Gus

Back