WWI German Field Artillery Uniform Help Needed!

ph0ebus

Hi everyone,

I am a new member in pickelhaubes.com, and I am seeking your help in learning more about my grandfather's rank and unit. He was in the German Field Artillery in World War I. I know he was in the 9th Battalion, 43rd Field Artillery Regiment and that he was wounded (poison gas) for which he received (I think) the Iron Cross, 2nd Class. He was on the front for four full years. I have posted a photo of him in uniform (with pickelhaube) here:

http://ph0ebus13.googlepages.com/home

I am looking for help on identifying what type of pickehaube he might be wearing (which may be difficult given it is covered in cloth...a basic question, but why cover it?), and information (if possible) on confirming his rank and the ribbon he wears this particular photo (at least it looks like he is wearing a ribbon, third button down from the top). I suspect he was either a NCO or regular officer, mainly by the feldmutze he wears in some of the photos which I will post on this same web page shortly, and the sword he holds in this portrait.

I am also wondering if his unit/regiment's history has been written about (in English?) and if anyone knows where I might find such a history.

Any and all guidance or information would be most welcome.

Thanks, and I look forward to our discussions.

Daniel Stern

Hi Daniel,

very nice photo. You are very fortunate to have a photo of him like this. First off, I wrote an article on the cloth Pickelhaube Überzug, that you can read here>> http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pt/uberzug.htm

Also, Joe wrote one that you can read here>> http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Uberzug.htm

Those should answer most of your questions. if not, ask again.

He is wearing a Vereinfachte Feldrock which you can read a little bit about here >> http://www.kaisersbunker.com/gtp/vereinfachte.htm

As far as I can tell, he has no visible rank, he has cloth Mannschaften (Other Ranks) straps, no NCO lace or collar buttons, so I would say he is a Private.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply...the articles were very informative. So, based on what is in that picture, would you say that it was taken towards the beginning of the war? Was it common for Privates to have portraits taken with swords and spurs? And, what is the 'ribbon' he is wearing?

I posted three more pictures on the same page:

They show my grandfather in another studio portrait in a different style uniform, and two photos of him and his unit on the front. In these you can see his ribbon for being wounded...it is a Iron Cross, 2nd class, right? I also am under the impression from my research thus far that his feldmutze is of the NCO type. Perhaps he was promoted after being wounded? These pictures were actually picture postcards that were posted in 1917.

I also was wondering about his buckle. Why, in the portrait with his cousin, is he wearing a 'plain' buckle, while his cousin wears the 'Gott Mit Uns' type buckle. Was this a matter of personal choice?

Thanks again for your help thus far. I have more pictures that I will be posting to my web page, though they largely are of places he saw with his unit, battlefield photos, etc. I'll let you know when they are up.

Take care,

-Daniel

ph0ebus said:
So, based on what is in that picture, would you say that it was taken towards the beginning of the war?

Hard to say. Based on the uniform, at least after 1915.

ph0ebus said:
Was it common for Privates to have portraits taken with swords and spurs?

Very common. Feldartillerie wore the mounted troops belt, boots, spurs, and carried a sword in the field.

ph0ebus said:
And, what is the 'ribbon' he is wearing?

EK2 (Iron Cross, second class). The EK was mailed back home to Mother, the ribbon was sewn on the button hole of the uniform.

ph0ebus said:
I also was wondering about his buckle. Why, in the portrait with his cousin, is he wearing a 'plain' buckle, while his cousin wears the 'Gott Mit Uns' type buckle. Was this a matter of personal choice?

No it was not. he was mounted, so he wore the mounted troops buckle. His cousin was foot troops and wore the foot-troops buckle.

Look here>> http://www.kaisersbunker.com/feldgrau/equipment/

Wow. I have learned more about these photos in the past two days than I have in the last two months (since I got them). So, am I correct in assuming that he is wearing the helmet type shown here?

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/feldgrau/helmets/fgh21.htm

I thought his spike seemed a bit rounded on top, compared to the pickelhaube as I understood it to be. What I know about the pickelhaube, and German equipment in general would scarcely fill a teacup. I am trying to remedy this as we speak.

What would a decent, authentic pickelhaube of that type go for, assuming one in decent shape, and not necessarily one in top condition?

Thanks,

-Daniel

ph0ebus

Congradulations on having some very cool photos of your Grandfather.

So, am I correct in assuming that he is wearing the helmet type shown here?

I think by looking at the picture his helmet has the concave chinscales of a mounted troop. If so, the helmet would be a pre-war M95 Kugalhelm with brass furniture.

Hello Daniel:

I conur with George. Your Grandfather wore something quite similar to this:

P1010334.jpg

P1010337.jpg

It appears from the photo that he also invested in a private purchase Überzug (helmet cover). Issued covers incorporated a five hook system for attaching the cover to the front and neck visors. Private purchase covers, largely worn by officers, were more "helmet friendly," utilizing internal wrap around flaps stiffened with cardboard or celluloid. In the photograph of your Grandfather, this is also born out by the high profile of the ball top (Kugel) cover. Customarily, though not exclusively, officers wore the taller spike/kugel.

Issued:

P1010341.jpg

P1010343.jpg

Private Purchase:

P1010346.jpg

Chas.

I was noteing the cousin has what look like Alpine boot's .I know these were issued to troops serving in Mountainous area's
Mark

Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback so far...I am learing quite a bit. I know nothing about Simon's expereinces (the cousin) in WWI. I do know he survived the war and went on to run a very successful paint business with factories in Fulda, Germany as well as Cardiff, Wales. My grandfather fought in France, from what I can tell, based on his notes on the backs of some of the postcards which I just posted to the web page. One shows the bombed out shell of 'Kathedrale von Laon', in September 1917. Another shows a 'Kloster', and another shows a tank that fell sideways into a trench, with the notation 'Ein Zerschossener Tank in Einer Sappe von Pinon'. I also posted a picture of another gentleman I think is another relative, and he has collar stripes, so perhaps you may know his rank?

I know zero German, so translation would be helpful, if anyone can provide one. I will put these pics up too if it would be of help or general interest.

Take care,

-Daniel

Hey Daniel
Those are some great photos and post cards, the stripes on the collar of the card titled "another Stern" are Litzen, they are not rank, they would indicate that he was a member of a gaurd, grenadier or Leib regiment (there are several other possibilities). the photo of the tank is of a French tank, they were not very successful due to their short track length and narrow stance.
Best wishes
Gus

Hi,

I put up more of my grandfather's WWI photos on my page, here:

There is only one other picture showing helmets, if that is your primary interest (in the picture of the flamethrower in action).

I also included the writing on the backs of the photos, as best as I could read it. Any help with translations would be great. It would appear he was at the Battle of Soissons in 1918, based on the note on the back of the photo of my grandfather and another man crossing a bridge there. Other than that, I do not have much else to go on.

Take care,

-Daniel

nice pictures , Family collection's like that are great. Alot of us are interested in other thing's from the great war other than just helmet's . I am guessing on this but the one Arttilery piece is spiked , that has the split wide barrel . It look's like it has the linmber attached.
The cousin has Gamershin"puttees" and Alpine boot's" these boots are heavier and have hob nails along the edge for troops in Mountain areas.He does not have any alpine badges visible. His cap is different from your grandfather.
Just my 2 cent's worth.
Mark

Hi all,

Thanks again to everyone who gave insight into my grandfather's photos; Since my initial post I have been searching for some sort of unit history for the 43rd Field Artillery Regiment, 9th Battery, but with no success...anyone know where I might find this? Does it exist? I am trying to get a sense as to where my grandfather served, what battles he participated in, etc. Any quidance would be a great help.

Take care,

-Daniel

Hi all,

Thanks again to everyoen who helped to interpret my grandfather's photos. I have learned since my last post that Emanuel actually started as a kreigsfreiwillige with the 43rd FAR, 4th Battery. He was wounded on October 17, 1916 in Vilosnes, France, and when he recuperated, rejoined the 43rd but as a part of the 9th Battery.

I was fortunate enough to run into another fellow researching the 43rd FAR and he helped me dig up the new info above. I have also been pursuing a lead on Emanuel's records from when he was wounded via the LAGeSo in Berlin, though it has taken a very, very long time.

Are there any other avenues forum members might recommend in researching my grandfather? I have the Unit History (which I have to get translated) and the great book (thankfully in English) about all 251 Divisions of the German Army.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Back