Zahlmeister Wappen - Opinions

kaiserzeit

I find myself argueing both sides with this example.

I thought this wappen looked pretty good but I am not sure about its reverse side. For my money the anchoring bolts look like they have been nipped by a pair of endcutters rather than been cleanly cut:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6242024516

If this is a private purchase wappen (the use of anchor bolts rather than wire loops), I would have thought that the bolts would be trimmed or filed back cleanly rather than left with a "nipped" end.

Also, the gilding coloration is almost garishly bright.

What do our wise men think?

Tony, if you see this, I see what you mean about finer beading on the chicken feathers. This I like; I have seen it much coarser and it looks poor.

Cheers,

Laurie[/quote]

Laurie: Screw studs being shortened by cutting with nippers is pretty much the norm. You will see the same kind of cutter marks on star stud posts. I believe as helmets were assembled the nuts were screwed onto the various posts and then the posts nipped off above the nut.
All of my helmets that have screw posts to secure front plates, stars or domed brads show evidence of being cut with nippers.

Reservist1

Hi Laurie,
It's a Beamte wappen. I've the same, the difference is the attachment of the little chicken, mine is attached with a kind of wire. Also the studs been shortened by cutting with nippers.
Good wappen, no problem!

churrascofinaldefrias0572av.jpg

My thanks to reservist1 and Otto, one more puzzle solved.

Otto, your photos are great, excellent detail.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Laurie

Back