5.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    568.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 28
Very nice! I believe mine has a red interior. Some of these cloth covered ersatz vary in the dyed felt inside. I have seen green, blue, and red.

Adam

Recently got this felt covered in cloth. It's a big size too.

Tony has a great page on it too with some excellent photos: https://www.kaisersbunker.com/feldgrau/helmets/fgh44.htm

It turns out that they really are all identical twins...
View attachment 45029
Could the helmet be made of cardboard? Instead of felt...Described by J-L Larcade in his Volume I and in his Uniformes magazine article...the material is called "carton bouilli", English; pressed cardboard.
-Cupro-aluminium fittings indicate that the helmet was made before April 6th 1915...Verordnung Kriegs-Ministerium-all metal fittings had to be painted grey-chemicaly treated. -The AKO came later ...21st September 1915: Stipulating that the spike had to be detachable. Bayonet style lugs.

Last edited:
Oui, c’est du carton bouilli rouge
En Français: carton bouilli ou papier-maché ??? It's the same?
-Auf Deutsch-In German Karton; "Pappe" gepresst.
And yes at the edges one can see fibres: ...paperfibres not felt...
-don't think the inner felt shell could be dyed and polished.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think you're right, it does look like cardboard. I hadn't even thought of it being so. I checked Larcade vol 1 and it appears he would suggest the same. I'll take some comparison shots with my macro lens. It does admittedly feel like felt a lot too...

Last edited:
Most likely. Cardboard shell; ?? felt covered?? Or not? With cloth/canvas cover. A real nice Haube!

Last edited:
Back